Tux Guitar

Open Discussion

Subject GuitarPro file formats

Marc Richter

Hi There - I'm quite new to TuxGuitar and I have used "GuitarPro" most of the time.
I've read that TuxGuitar supports the GuitarPro File formats. Now I'd like to know how the developers know how this format works. Is there some kind of a SDK or a Format definition available?

I'd like to know how sure I can be about that all my GuitarPro Tabs are working without errors.

Anonymous

Since the program is free why don't you just download it and open your GP files with it and see for yourself?

Marc Richter

Hi, sure, I can do that for each and every song. But what I want is to generate some Tabs within my licensed GuitarPro programm and send those tabs arround without having to double check the results each and every time. Since there's no easy way to do this with GuitarPro (there's no free viewer app available and the only way would be to publish it with a mixture of PDF and MP3 or such; but my pals still can't EDIT the files and send them back in an easy way) I'd like to know how tight the GuitarPro's fileformat is really "supported".

Having to double check all results in all ways is a very time consuming process. And when there's a part looking strange, we always have to discuss if that's a typo, really meant that way or an error caused by the ex- / importing of the formats.

I'd just like to get a closer feeling for the way TuxGuitar works here.

Anonymous

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a jerk in my last post, I see where you're coming from now. I can tell you this much from my experience: Tux has opened and played 99% of the GP3/4/5 files I've downloaded from tab websites, and I haven't noticed any weird playback issues. When it won't open a file I get a "cannot open" message and I assume the file must be corrupt or something.

And since most tabs you find online have GLARING errors in them I've edited the hell out of almost every tab I've downloaded and and then saved the changes and have had zero issues.

I have noticed one thing though: If I take a GP4 or GP5 file and make a single change to it, like adding a single note to an existing measure (and even if I undo that change) and then save the file, the file size increases by about 20-30%. If I do it again the file size stays at the new larger size. I don't know what any of that means, but it hasn't affected the playback of the files in my experience.

Honestly, if your objective is to send GP files to your friends so they can open them in Tux and mess around with them, I don't think you'll have any issues.