Tux Guitar

Open Discussion

Subject rpm

Daweed

Is there any rpm package?

Julian

No it isn´t. We don´t have any RPM based GNU/Linux distribution to build/test a .rpm package.

Daweed

Sorry, I don't belive you. They are all free,and you can easily download it, so I guess you probably don't like rpm or distributions that are using that package. I think that Tuxguitar is the best tab software on Linux, so please consider the problem of rpm. I use Ubuntu Mint, so it's not actually my problem, but I am worried about those people who use Mandriva, RedHat, openSuse...and because I like TuxGuitar soooo much, people which are not Linux experts must know installing it, by easy click on the package :). Reject prejudices and build it please!!

Julian

> Sorry, I don't belive you
Ok, but what do you should beleibe ??

> They are all free,and you can easily download it
And who say they are not free ???
i say we don't have ( what mean installed on our PC ), but i never say nothing about if they are free or not.
and NOT! i don't have any problem with rpm distributions.

> people which are not Linux experts must know installing it,
For that people, there are installers. i suggest you take a look to the download page. try one and then tell me if you found it hard to install.

Daweed

I've tried it, and I can run it, but cannot install it on the system. Program runs very good but still from the folder. That IS something for the start :)

Julian

what do you mean with "install" ?
Install is only copy files from one place to other. and some times run postscripts ( but tuxguitar don't need for postscripts )
So when you uncompressed the tar.gz you already installed the app.

Or you want to move the app to /usr ??
i didn't distribute the files with /usr prefix because not all users now how uninstall it on the future.

I think you don't talk about installation..
you are talking about the package manager registration.
RPM or DPKG (on debian) have a database where allow the info of all installed packages.

However, as i told you before, i don't have nothing with RPM based distributions. i was user of Redhat, Mandrake and Fedora and i had never a problem.
But now i don't have that distributions installed.
i have a 512 RAM, so it's very hard use a Virtual Machine too.
So if you want give me some help, i can release a "rpm" package.

Daweed

Sorry , I am not programmer, just a musician.
Yes, you guessed what I thought, and you are right. Tuxguitar deserves more attention and publicity, so I thought that building a rpm would help. Just that. :)

lado

... need rpm ... need rpm.