Tux Guitar

Open Discussion

Subject TuxGuitar-tuner v0.01 beta

Johnny

Since many users wanted integrated guitar tuner in TuxGuitar, I decided to write one. It's basic functionality is finished, it works fine, but I need it tested by many users, because it depends on many factors.

I tested it with electric guitar plugged directly into Line in input in integrated soundcard and it works fine for me, either in Linux or Windows. But I want it to be tested with microphone recording a sound, with various sound settings, different guitars (line in input signal probably depends on pickups and some guitar gear)...

Feel free to try it and to write me any feedback about your experience. Please don't expect too much, this is just first version.

http://tuxguitar.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tuxguitar/trunk/TuxGuitar-tuner/tuxguitar-tuner.jar

You install it when you copy this JAR file into .../tuxguitar/share/plugins folder.

-- IMPORTANT --
It uses Java Sound API, so you will need SUN Java, or some other JRE with Gervill Sound API included in your classpath (only for experienced users).

Johnny

Because it works differently on different setup, I've made a Settings dialog inside the tuner, which you can use to tweak the tuner.

Sampling rate - The higher sample rate you have, captured sound quality will be better, but it will fill the buffer more quickly. I find 11KHz enough for tuning, so you should not bother.

Sample size - 8-bit or 16-bit, 8-bit is enough as it seems to me

Sampling buffer - Memory size dedicated to captured sound. Once it is full it gets analyzed by FFT algorithm.

FFT buffer size - To avoid the details about this... It will determine the precision of the tuner (see text on the bottom of dialog).

All the previous settings, when change, will affect the most important setting:

Noise gate - You don't want the tuner to pick up every single frequency, but you don't want it to be completely deaf. So this parameter is what makes the tuner good. Tweak it and make the tuner work only when you play the string (a little bit harder).

I played with these parameters and tuner works perfectly for me. But I guess it will need some changing for other hardware/software.

Julian

Hey Johnny, just a little correction:
Gervill is a Synthesizer implementation of the "javax.sound.midi" package, but note that you are using "javax.sound.sampled" here instead of midi.
So don't matters if you have or not Gervill installed for this plugin. it just need java sound api (sampled package) implemented ( I think openJdk does it )

Cheers.

Anonymous

Hey Johnny,

I just downloaded the plug-in and it looks good. I'll probably be your worst critique because I'm using a built in mic, but anyway. You may want to add brief descriptions like you have on your post above on the settings for the tuner which will make it a little easier. If you get a chance you may also want to make it more aesthetically pleasing but that's only a minor detail. For me, it doesn't quite work as well as the GP5 tuner, but it's not far off. On the the whole great job and keep up the good work.

Matt

Johnny

I would like to know more details about your experience.
What settings do you find the best (don't mind about sampling data, I am more interested in noise gate and FFT buffer size). The plan is to try it on as many sistems as possible, to get some optimal settings and to completely remove the settings dialog, since it is not necessary.

Don't worry about aestetics, it is easiest thing to do.

Matt

Thanks for replying so quickly. Okay. Here's the details. I'm using windows vista Business, with a built in realtek high definition audio microphone. The sampling buffer size seems about right. The fourier buffer size seems to work a bit better on 32768, and the noise gate seems to work best anywhere between 2% and 20%. Hope that helps.

Vankata

The Above link to TuxGuitar-tuner is invalid.

Julian

it's a 2008 link.. this plugin is included in the application now. see at Tools menu.

Anonymous

can i knw hw 2 use guitar tuner in tuxguitar