Tux Guitar

Help

Forums : Help
Subject Speed trainer and looping.

Tor Einar

Is it possible to set up a part of the piece to loop and vary tempo from a start tempo via increments up to the current tempo? Like the speed-trainer in Guitar Pro 4 and 5. This is very useful for studying a piece. You know - learn to play it.

If not, and if you where to implement it, it would be very useful to be able to reduce tempo again down to a userselected tempo after you have reached the current tempo, and then hold this tempo. This is a feature that is not in Guitar Pro, but would be very useful.

Julian

Hi,
not that feature doesn't exists... i'll put at the todo list.

logan

i have used guitar pro for windows and this program comes little close in cloning. But one major part that i like in Guitar PRo was the ability to slow down tempo and repeat certain parts of songs for training.

Please add support for this

logan

DLWoodie

I also really need loop and vary tempo!!!

TuxGuitar would be perfect except for the lack of this feature, unfortunatly it is a lot less useful to me without it....... My guitar playing needs all the help it can get.

I would rather not have to use wine, and vmware cant keep time.

Julian

Hi,
this feature already exists on CVS version.

Sascha

Hello,
where can I download the CVS-Version of TuxGuitar?
Thanks

Julian

Hi,

Exec this on a terminal:

# it'll ask you a password.. just type "Enter"
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@tuxguitar.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tuxguitar login

# download the sources
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@tuxguitar.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tuxguitar co -P TuxGuitar

see here for detailed info:
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=155855

then you'll need build the sources
make sure you have "ant" and "jdk" installed.

this are steps to build:

# generate a source release
ant -Ddist.version=cvs
cd TuxGuitar/
tar xfz TuxGuitar-cvs-src.tar.gz
cd TuxGuitar-cvs-src/

Now, edit "build.properties" file, and set the right "swt" paths ( if you need download swt, it's available at: http://www.eclipse.org/swt/ )

Then, just type:
ant

Bye

Sascha

Sorry, but I don't understand. You wrote:
"Excec this in a terminal"
Please tell me, what do you meat with "terminal"???

Thank you.

Auria

Sascha : are you on Linux? These isntructions are for linux i believe.

Anyway if you don't even know what a terminal is i wouldn't attempt this stuff :)

Sascha

You are right, I'm not an expierence pragrammer, and I use windows, but I try and learn. The only think I want is to have a sourcecode of TuxGuitar, which is able after building to reduce the tempo. As you know, the version for download at the time can't do this. Do anywhere have a solution for me, where and how I can get this to build and run on windows? Please explain in simple steps.
Thanks

Julian

Well, as Auria say these are linux instructions, but it should run under win if you have "cvs" client installed.

> what do you meat with "terminal"???
the terminal ( or console ) under windows i think this is called "Symbol System" (not sure of this).. is something like the old "DOS" Shell..

To open it go from menu
"start -> excecute" ( i don't know the exactly item names )
and put: "cmd" in the excecute dialog.

CVS client:
as i saw on the web, the best way for win users seems to be by using "WinCVS".. see here for instructions:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=766&group_id=1#installation

WinCVS will make the work of this 2 lines :
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@tuxguitar.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tuxguitar login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@tuxguitar.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tuxguitar co -P TuxGuitar

then you will need exec the "ant"... do you have it installed ???

JonE

I might be missing it, but is there an easy way to select the section of music that you'd like to loop?

Sonny

What JonE said:

"I might be missing it, but is there an easy way to select the section of music that you'd like to loop?"

What's the point of markers, if you can't set the player to loop between them.

Julian

Sonny: "What's the point of markers, if you can't set the player to loop between them. "

If you look this application as a guitar trainer, so maybe markers have no sense.
but i notice you that the plans of this application is to be a "Tablature Editor", where markers are usefull to mark segments of song and later can find them to edit easily.

However, there are plans to add loops on selected sections only, and markers can be also usefull for make that selection.

Stefano

I think that at the moment to practice only a part of a song the only way is to copy the measures you want to practice, then open a new song and paste the measures.

I think that the possibility to loop parts of a song is useful also when you are writing down a tab from records.

Anyway TuxGuitar looks like to be a very good tabeditor.

Electrodud

Maybe a work around would be to be able to "Cut and Paste" a few measures that we would like to practice into a NEW file and just practice those few measures in the new file...

I just bought this software and am new and OF COURSE the first thing I looked for was the feature of being able to practice a few measures over and over again.

If this is not possible this software is basically worthless for learning new songs if you can't LOOP/Repeat measures you need to practice more than others

my 2 cents

Julian

> I just bought this software
What do you mean with "bought" ?
This software is free. does anybody sell you it ?

http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/license.html
http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/download.html

This trainer feature was already implemented on development version, so will be available at next release.

Dave

Hiya, when I type ant -Ddist.version=cvs
I get:
buildfile, build .xml doesn't exist
Build failed!

Please help :-)

Julian

Dave,

I assume you got tuxguitar from SVN..
what did you download ??
the full project list? or just "TuxGuitar" project ?

if you downloaded all you must go to TuxGuitar folder,
and there type "ant"

at -Ddist.version, you don't should do that..
you should edit the file "build.properties" and set the properties there.

Michal P?nka

Hi,

I just want to vote for a "selection loops" for neverendless training as well as for the "selection loops with incremental tempo - the training mode".

Thanks for your effort. I don't understand why I found this software so late. It's wonderful!

Nick

I agree. I just got the software and was looking to see if you could loop a selection; say measures 3-5.
I take it based on your request taht can't be done.

Julian

This feature was already included in latest version.

Pete

Is this feature included in version 1.2 but missing in version 1.1?
Unfortunately in the Ubuntu reps there is only version 1.1 available, and when I install the deb for 1.2, I can't manage to get the plugins that I can install from the rep for version 1.1 (besides that I didn't find the option in 1.2, it was the only reason I upgraded)
Is version 1.2 included in the Ubuntu 10.10 rep?
(maybe a reason to upgrade my distro...)
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 x64

For everyone who uses Tuxguitar for guitar practice, this feature would be awesome, it really is the only thing I'm missing (coming from guitar pro)...

Pete

Just upgraded to Maverick Meerkat which has Tuxguitar 1.2 and plugins in the rep, I found the option, bless you :-)
Sooo cool, seriously, now I can really start practising...
Love that program!!!