Tux Guitar

Help

Forums : Help
Subject Feedback: Install under Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10

Keith

1) install the sun-java5-* packages via synaptic
2) download tuxguitar-0.9.1-ubuntu-6.10-1.deb
3) sudo dpkg -i tuxguitar-0.9.1-ubuntu-6.10-1.deb

NB no need to d/l and install tuxguitar-alsa-0.9-ubuntu-6.10-1.deb, I found this actually stopped the sound from working, uninstalling it and everythng now works fine.

Found out about tuxguitar when researching how to run powertab under wine. This program is exactly what I was looking for. You have just removed my last reason for keeping a copy of MS Windows on my PC. I'm seriously thinking of reclaiming the space now.

Awesome piece of software, much respect.

Bart

What should I do when I can´t find nothing lika sun-java5 in my Synaptic?... I am new to linux

Julian

java packages are at "multiverse" repository (not enabled as default)..
look at google how you can enable that repository.

stefab

i have the problem too, but i habe already enable the multiverse section. apt-get says, that the java5-package is too old. i have installed java6 and the program runs, but apt-get sayd, that there is a dependency-conflict because the java5-jre-package is not installed

Julian

Yes, there is conflict.. because the package config, don't have java-6 as alternative (i didn't know java-6 was at repositories when i made the .deb package)..
so i'm not sure if you can "force" the package installation with depdendence problems.. but make sure tuxguitar run under java-6..
if you can't install the .deb package.. you should download the tuxguitar binary files..

eric

i was able to install is like this:

sudo dpkg -i --force-depends-version tux*.deb

it caused no problems and worked perfectly with java 6. this should be on the download page to avoid confusion..

Julian

Hi,
i uploaded yesterday new tuxguitar-[version].deb tuxguitar-alsa-[version] packages..

depends updated: "sun-java6-jre | sun-java5-jre"