Tux Guitar

Help

Forums : Help
Subject export lyrics to lilypond

juribel

In Tuxguitar, you can enter spaces in the lyrics editor to skip to the next note, and everything looks fine in tuxguitar. But when you export to lilypond, the whitespaces are ignored and the lyrics will not fit to the notes anymore. Is there any workaround?

Thanks in advance
Jurgen

Julian

I'm sure we fixed it, what lilypond's version are you using ?

however lyrics export will never be perfect, since the way as lilypond and tuxguitar manages the lyrics in repeat sections..

juribel

Hello,

many thanks for your answer.
I am using ubuntu 9.10 which comes with lilypond 2.12.2, and tuxguitar 1.2

By the way: if you edit the lyrics and insert space characters to synchronize the words to their notes, the space characters do appear in the exported lilypond file, but lilypond ignores them.

If you enter chords with the chord editor, the chords and their names will appear in the lilypond score, but when you export them to lilypond, the chord names get lost.

I love tuxguitar, you have done a fantastic work, and I am sad to get stuck with it at this point.

Greetings
Jurgen

Julian

Sorry.. i think i understood a different ( then i said i think it was fixed )..

This what happens, maybe lilypond don't supports it.
In the real life, in a musical score that doesn't exists..

in a lyric score, the voice is like an instrument.
you can't have a note, but don't have it..
it's supposed that if you have a note, is because the voice is sounding, so it's "saying something"
not sure how to explain in english.. i try to mean, each lyric word "is a note"
so maybe what i think is that lilypond don't supports the concept of empty spaces skip beats.

With chords is a similar story.. tuxguitar and lilypond are different applications..
we try to export a file like you have in tuxguitar, but it's not allways possible make all work exactly as you have. because both applications work different..

but ofcourse there are plans to make the exporter better than current (we already made a lot of changes to it in latest version )

juribel

Hi Julian,

thanks for your explanation. Now it is much clearer to me. I tried to help myself and fixed the exported lilypond file, which is by no means elegant. In this song, every measure contains 6 quarter notes, so I replaced every extra space character by a "skip 4" command. This might be an idea for your exporting algorithm, look at the length of the note which you want to skip with tuxguitar's space character and replace it by the appropriate "skip x" command.

On the other hand, it makes sense to add a second "instrument" just for the lyrics. But... would it be possible to print/export the guitar track as tabulature only, and the voice/lyrics track as notes with lyrics only? As far as I can see, the settings dialog that comes for printing and exporting is global for all tracks.

Greetings
Jurgen

Julian

Oh, i'll see that about skip..
so you say, each tuxguitar space could be 1 skip for lilypond.

It's not possible now to change export options for individual tracks.. we have to add support in the future.
but you can edit the lilypond generated file.

After all generated tracks, you have to see
lines like:

TrackAStaffGroup = new StaffGroup <<
TrackAStaff
TrackATabStaff
>>

At this "Track[ID]StaffGroup" ( see ID as A,B,C,D,E, etc.. it's just a counter ) is where is defined what will shown by tracks..

so if you want to show .. only Tablature, you can remove TrackAStaff :

TrackATabStaff
>>

Of if you want to Hide tablature, you remove the tab:

TrackAStaff
>>

juribel

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Tweaking the lilypond file should not be too difficult, the files that tuxguitar generates look very straight and clean. Very impressive work.

Greetings
Jurgen