Tux Guitar

Help

Forums : Help
Subject Getting fluidsynth and jack plugins to load

x29a

Hi,

I have installed tuxguitar 1.2 on ubuntu 9.10 with the deb package provided in the download section. TuxGuitar works fine so far but the fluidsynth and jack plugins do not appear in the plugin list, even though the jars are included in the deb and were installed to /usr/share/tuxguitar/plugins. How can I find out what's going wrong? Is there any verbose switch for tuxguitar?

Thanks,
Jonas

Julian

As you say, they are installed (in x86 release). but not configured as tuxguitar plugins as default.
This is just to don't force users to install dependencies ( Jack, Fluidsynth ) that could be optional.

So to make it work, you have to uncomment some lines.
At "/usr/share/tuxguitar/plugins" there are folders of these native plugins. the only one enable as default, is "tuxguitar-alsa", the others are disabled.

So just edit ( by each plugin you want to enable/disable )
META-INF/services/org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.system.plugins.TGPlugin

and just uncomment ( remove # character ) to enable the plugin, save the file and restart the application.

So to be more clear....

The fluidsynth's plugin file is:
/usr/share/tuxguitar/plugins/tuxguitar-fluidsynth/META-INF/services/org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.system.plugins.TGPlugin

The jack's plugin file is:
/usr/share/tuxguitar/plugins/tuxguitar-jack/META-INF/services/org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.system.plugins.TGPlugin

Edit both files, remove the "#" character and save them.

ycollet

I have installed an archive for 64 bits downloaded from this site and I can't find the META-INF directory.
Is it normal ?
Can I create this file ?

Cheers,

YC

Julian

No... note the first line i wrote:
>> As you say, they are installed (in x86 release).

I have no a 64 bit PC, so i couldn't build native plugins for 64bit on this version.
( note that the alsa plugin wasn't changed since 1.0 so i released the same binary file )

So you have to build the plugin, and the native library.
you can use same .jar files as for 32bit.. but the native files libtuxguitar-[plugin]-jni.so must be compiled for 64bit.

Also this META-INF directory could be inside the .jar file ( as for other plugins ), on 32bit releases i extracted it to make easier to modify by the users.

ycollet

OK thanks, I will try that.

YC

x29a

Works like a breeze, thanks! The only thing that is not working so far is bpm synchronization (and there is no lash support). But I'm really happy. Especially because this shows the power of linux for audio. :)

Now I can quickly prototype my ideas using ardour for recording, tuxguitar for writing and fluidsynth for playback.

Thank you,
Jonas

Julian

>> The only thing that is not working so far is bpm synchronization
I'm not sure if understand this..
To use the jack transport, you have to select the "Jack Sequencer" in tuxguitar, so then you'll able to "play" in ardour, and tuxguitar will start playing.
but you have to make sure you are using a low latency synthesizer to have a good synchronization...