Tux Guitar

Help

Forums : Help
Subject 2 flats appearing in different place as expected

Leke

I'm copying the bass line of some music and inserted a bass clef, 2 flats and time sig 3/4.
I noticed the 2 flats are appearing in different places in comparison to the sheet music I'm copying. Is this important? Will the notes sound different to what is expected or is there different ways of writing flats in a key?

Extra info...
The sheet music flats appear on B and C
In TG they appear in C and whatever the note is above the E on the highest line.

Thanks.

Leke

It looks like TG is outputting the 2 flats for the treble clef instead of the bass clef. Is this a bug then?

Julian

2 Flats must be applied to "B" and "E" notes.
it don't matters the clef, a "B" ('Si' in spanish) is allways a "B" note, the clef only says it's position in the score.

so i'm not sure how you can get a B-C flat based key signature.. what tonality is it supposed to be ?

Leke

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I'm not knowledgeable about music theory, but are you saying I can use the 2 flats on the treble clef and achieve the same sound?
I took a picture of the key signature I need to copy from if it's any help...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/228727/music_notation.jpg

Sorry about the quality.

Julian

well first, the picture is right.. it have "B" and "E" flats.

to add this key signature, on tuxguitar you have to select "2 flats".

then ofcourse you can use treeble clef with same sound as bass clef, but it's not recommended.
when you change the clef, the note positions are different. so the idea of bass clef is for bass notes (a low note) while a treeble clef is for high notes.

the idea of this application is to be a tablature editor, so here the clef is not so important at edit time.. you can make the tablature ( notes don't depend on clef, only on strings and tuning ) and then you use the clef you want.

then for piano tracks maybe it's recommended to use "2 tracks"
first for right hand ( treeble clef ), and second for left hand ( bass clef )

Leke

Thanks for explaining that Julian :)