Tux Guitar

Help

Forums : Help
Subject Tuning?

Anonymous

I dont understand the tuning. can someone help i want to know to tune it down to 1/2 step and a full step down. i know where to find the tuning up i dont what E5 and stuff mean.

CB

It's easy. You know the names of the strings on your guitar, right? The number following the letter name of a string tells you what octave the note is in. When you open a new Tux project it always shows a single instrument, the "Steel String Guitar" in standard tuning, E-A-D-G-B-E. If you look at its properties you'll see:

E3 A3 D4 G4 B4 E5

The low E-string is E3. The high E-string is E5. It's "E5" because it's 2 octaves higher in pitch than the low E-string (E"3" to E"5"). If you played the note on the 2nd fret of the D-string (or 7th fret of the A-string or 12th fret of the low E-string), that would be E4.

If you want to tune the guitar down a whole step, just go into the properties page for the instrument and change the letter values for the strings down a whole step.

Examples....

Standard tuning for bass guitar:
E2 A2 D3 G3

Standard tuning for guitar:
E3 A3 D4 G4 B4 E5

Notice how the numbers for the bass guitar are all 1 less than for the guitar... because a bass is tuned 1 octave lower than a guitar

Whole step down to D:
D3 G3 C4 F4 A4 D5

Half-step down:
D#3 G#3 C#4 F#4 A#4 D#5

When you tune down a half-step you normally think of it as being in "E-flat" (or "Eb"), but the way Tux is set up it doesn't show flats in the tuning properties page, but D-sharp is the same as E-flat, etc.

That pretty much explains it.

Anonymous

Thank-you so much :)