Tux Guitar

Help

Forums : Help
Subject Trioles? HOW??

HtF

Hi, I have been trying for over an hour now to acomplish something ridiculously simple: An 8th note followed by an eigth triole ... no matter how I try to do it I get garbage ... can someone explain to me how to enter the notes and when to hit the triole modifier so that I can get this done in tuxguitar? Since you seem to be unable to mark more than one note and since hitting the triole modifier after the first note seems to be not supported ... whatever the developers did: It's far from being intuitive and it's VERY different from any other program I have used so far .. :)

Thanks in advance.

Ignatz

Hi HtF,

Not sure what you mean by triole? Some searching on the internet indicates that triole is the German musical term for triplet. Triole seems a pretty obscure term to use (unless you are German). If someone wasn't going to use the English term (triplet) I would have thought that Italian (terzina) or French (triolet) would be more likely. So I presume that you mean triplet? If it is then "triplet" is the term used by Tux Guitar and it would help people help you if you used the same terms that are utilised by Tux Guitar.

Do you mean that Tux Guitar is different from Word or Excel? Well, yes it is.

Do you mean that Tux Guitar is different from Sibelius, TablEdit and Guitar Pro? Well, I (personally) have found that Tux Guitar is easier to use and more intuitive than these applications but that they all have basic similarities. For example, all are difficult to get to grips with for beginners to the software (regardless of whether you are an experienced musician or not).

It is so easy to insert triplets in Tux Guitar that it is hard to understand the problem that you are having. It is easy to have a beat made up of 2 eighth-notes, followed by a beat made up of 3 eighth-notes (triplets). You simply click on the first note in the beat that you want to be a triplet and click the triplet icon in the tool bar.

It is so easy to do this that what I expect you are trying to do is have a beat which is made up of a conventional eighth-note as well as eighth-note triplets. In the context of 1 beat this can't really be done because a conventional eighth-note accounts for 50% of the beat and a triplet eighth-note accounts for 33.3% leaving only enough space for a triplet sixteenth-note (16.7%). You can, of course balance this out over a number of beats but you would have to watch the maths.

Unless you are exploring unconventional, experimental music I wonder if you are confused about what you are trying to do musically? Alternatively, you may have inadvertently expressed yourself in a confusing way?

It might also be that you are copying a manuscript into Tux Guitar. Some manuscripts are not scrupulously specific about note values and leave much to interpretation i.e the human element of "commonsense". A simple examplem that I have come across more that once, is a manuscript that had a beat made up of 1 conventional eighth-note and 3 eighth-note triplets. Depending on the context and listening to the original source the transcription meant 1 conventional eighth-note and 3 sixteenth triplets; or that the 1 conventional eighth-note and 3 eighth-note triplets kept their values relative to eachother but, in total, only amounted to one beat relative to the other beats in the bar (so in fact the values were 1 note with the duration of 1/3rd of a beat and the 3 remaining notes each being 2/9th of a beat [by the way, you can enter this pattern in Tux Guitar but it is a bit fiddly]).

A more complex example:- I have found that a number of "bebop" manuscripts are really difficult to take from manuscript and transcribe into any music notation software. The reason is that too much is left to the musician reading the music. And, when you think about it, isn't it a lot to expect a transcriber be able to capture every nuance of what might have a been a one-off, wild, out of control, totally improvised session with many millions of notes played in time signatures that defy imagination let alone transcription?

For whatever reason a transcriber doesn’t always include complete information (a sometimes impossible task) leaving much to the “reader”. Unfortunately, it is difficult to code for "commonsense" and music notation software (like any other software) can't read minds.

It might help if you could provide more information about what you are trying to do?

Kind regards,

Ignatz