Tux Guitar

Help

Forums : Help
Subject Score notes an octave higher than actual?

jfoo

If I tab the first string at the 0 fret, it should be E above middle C. However, the score notation has it an octave higher. I also tried this with GuitarPro and found the same thing.

Am I confused? Or is something else happening?

Thanks,

j

Julian

> If I tab the first string at the 0 fret, it should be E above middle C
This is wrong. The string/fret notes depends on the tuning.
This would be true if you have the "standart" EADGBE tuning. but not if you have other.
You don't should think "6 string" is allways "E note".
There are a lot of classical songs (e.g: tarrega songs ), what use the 6 string on "D".

If you have 1 octave higher, so i think your file have the "EADGBE" tuning but starting from fourth octave of E. ( E4 ) and the standard should be the third ( E3 )

Anonymous

To avoid extensive use of ledger lines, music for the guitar is written on the treble clef, one octave higher than concert pitch. Tuxguitar follows this custom. For further reading, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transposing_instrument

jfoo

Thanks, that makes sense, though I prefer the notes to be the same. That was easy to do with track->properties...

j

jfoo

Spoke too soon. I'll explain better. I'm tabbing a classical piano piece for guitar (in standard tuning). Because it's a piano piece, I'd really like the notes that appear in the score to be the actual notes, not an octave higher as is the custom. I changed the tuning so that this happens, but (of course), playback plays everything an octave lower.

Is there a way to make the notes in the score actually be the notes played, and not be an octave higher?

Thanks, and I have to say tabbing is a joy using tuxguitar for this...

j

Julian

Maybe this will clean all:

If you want change the "string note", just change the string tunning.

If you want change the note "position on the score", just change the "Clef"

If you want change the "listening octave" ( without modify the score note ), just change the "offset".
-24 : Decrement 1 octave
-12 : Decrement 2 octaves
0 : Default octave
+12 : Increment 1 octave
+24 : Increment 2 octaves

Julian

My bad..

> -24 : Decrement 1 octave
> -12 : Decrement 2 octaves
This is bad.

This is ok:
-24 : Decrement 2 octaves
-12 : Decrement 1 octave

jfoo

Thanks! The offset did what I wanted. -- j

Maythe

Just wanted to say thanks Julian, the offset helped me too.

My problem was that my soundcard played the wrong midi values so that what looked like a middle C in Tuxguitar sounded an octave lower than it does in real life.