Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject Sound issues on CentOS 5.2

CWatson

Hello,
I recently installed CentOS 5.2, and want to run tuxguitar. Here is some info:

Linux 2.6.18-128.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jan 21 10:41:14 EST 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

tuxguitar-1.1-linux-x86_64

I think the problem may lie with timidity. When I do "./tuxguitar", I get "Java sound api cannot be loaded". Here's the output as well:

org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.system.plugins.TGPluginException: Java sound api cannot be loaded
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.system.plugins.base.TGMidiOutputPortProviderPlugin.addPlugin(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.system.plugins.base.TGMidiOutputPortProviderPlugin.setEnabled(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.system.plugins.base.TGPluginList.setEnabled(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.system.plugins.TGPluginManager.openPlugins(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.TuxGuitar.displayGUI(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.TGMain.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.herac.tuxguitar.player.base.MidiPlayerException: Java sound api cannot be loaded
at org.herac.tuxguitar.player.impl.jsa.midiport.MidiPortProviderImpl.listPorts(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.player.base.MidiPlayer.addOutputPortProvider(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.system.plugins.base.TGMidiOutputPortProviderPlugin.addPlugin(Unknown Source)
...5 more
Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: init_
at gnu.javax.sound.midi.alsa.AlsaMidiDeviceProvider.init_(libgcj.so.7rh)
at gnu.javax.sound.midi.alsa.AlsaMidiDeviceProvider.(libgcj.so.7rh)
at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.7rh)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(libgcj.so.7rh)
at gnu.classpath.ServiceProviderLoadingAction.run(libgcj.so.7rh)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(libgcj.so.7rh)
at gnu.classpath.ServiceFactory$ServiceIterator.loadNextServiceProvider(libgcj.so.7rh)
at gnu.classpath.ServiceFactory$ServiceIterator.(libgcj.so.7rh)
at gnu.classpath.ServiceFactory.lookupProviders(libgcj.so.7rh)
at javax.sound.midi.MidiSystem.getMidiDeviceInfo(libgcj.so.7rh)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.player.impl.jsa.midiport.MidiPortProviderImpl.listPorts(Unknown Source)
...7 more
org.herac.tuxguitar.player.base.MidiPlayerException: Java sound api cannot be loaded
at org.herac.tuxguitar.player.base.MidiPlayer.listOutputPorts(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.player.base.MidiPlayer.openOutputPort(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.TuxGuitar.restorePlayerConfig(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.TuxGuitar.displayGUI(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.TGMain.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: gnu.javax.sound.midi.alsa.AlsaMidiDeviceProvider
at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.7rh)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(libgcj.so.7rh)
at gnu.classpath.ServiceProviderLoadingAction.run(libgcj.so.7rh)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(libgcj.so.7rh)
at gnu.classpath.ServiceFactory$ServiceIterator.loadNextServiceProvider(libgcj.so.7rh)
at gnu.classpath.ServiceFactory$ServiceIterator.(libgcj.so.7rh)
at javax.sound.midi.MidiSystem.getMidiDeviceInfo(libgcj.so.7rh)
...5 more

Here's the command I used to configure and install timidity++-2.13.2:
./configure --enable-alsa --enable-audio=alsa --enable-alsaseq --enable-server

I get an error from "make && make install", and thus this error when I run "timidity -iA -Os":

/usr/local/share/timidity/timidity.cfg: No such file or directory
Interface `A' is not compiled in.
Couldn't open output device

Any help would be much appreciated. This is a great forum, which helped when I installed on a fedora9 system.

Thanks,
Chris Watson

CWatson

Hi, is there anyone that can help me?
I've also tried installing pulseaudio, but that doesn't work. When I go to the pulseaudio-0.9.15 dir and run './configure', I get this error message:
configure: error: Unable to find libltdl.

This occurs even after I've downloaded libtool-ltdl.x86_64 and libtool-ltdl-devel.x86_64 (also got the i386 versions).

Thank you,
Chris

Julian

Hi,

you have 2 different things here.
* "Java sound api cannot be loaded" is from tuxguitar-jsa plugin, and the reason of the error is because you are running tuxguitar with GCJ, that have not support for java sound api as default
_ To fix it, You can install (or configure to be a default) the sun java, or open jdk
_ To hide the problem, you can just disable the Java Sound Api plugin.

* About timidity, i really don't remember well, i don't compile it from sources since more than 4 years ago..

i can tell you only 2 things.. but not real solutions.
1_ "Interface `A' is not compiled in."
check if "--enable-alsa" is the right option for the alsa input.. or if it uses a different flag name.

2_ "/usr/local/share/timidity/timidity.cfg"
as i remeber, make install didn't make the share/timidity folder ( or didn't add the .cfg and any sound file )
what i don't remember now, is if these files were available at sources (to manually install them).
however, i don't think sources came with any sound file, so you have to manually download and configure them..
See for "freepats" at the web,
and how to make a timidity.cfg file at
http://timidity.s11.xrea.com/index.en.html