Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject No sound in Ubuntu 9.04

AussieAxeMan

TuxGuitar was running nicely in Ubuntu 8.10, thanks to the help in other threads relating to timidity and all.

However, on upgrading to 9.04, there is no sound.

Any hints, anyone?

Cheers - AAM.

undersoul

yeah...same problem

AussieAxeMan

Glad to know I'm not the only one... am trying different stuff but not getting a result.

There's no error in tail dmesg yada yada yada so it's a bit confusing.

Halp? Anyone?

Romain

Hi,

Same problem here - freshly installed Ubuntu Jaunty and the sound doesn't work. I installed Timidity++ and re-installed the Sun JDK runtime but still no luck.

BTW - The version available in "add / remove" looks older than the one available here, but both don't work.

Romain

In fact, I discovered that it depends on the files. Some files are working fine but others aren't.

I can send 2 examples if someone wants to look at them.

undersoul

Problem solved...
install tuxguitar 1.1 from here

http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=tuxguitar&filename=tuxguitar-1.1-ubuntu-x86.deb&use_mirror=softlayer

AussieAxeMan

Hmmm - the package gives the error:

Error: Breaks exisiting package 'tuxguitar-fluidsynth' dependency tuxguitar (= 1.0.dak-1ubuntu1).

So, I used Synaptic to completely remove all tuxguitar files and installed the new package.

Same result - no sound.

Did timidity -iA -Os &. Timidity reported port 130:0 and others, changed the settings in tuxguitar and hurrah! sound at last.

I closed it and restarted and the port number had incremented to 131. :-/

I hope there can be a more elegant fix than having to launch timidity manually every time.

Julian

There are ways to automatically start timidity.
the problems started with pulseaudio.
now some people can't make timidity run at startup with pulseaudio together.

After buy hardware for a new PC, i had similar problems
under Debian testing -> pulseaudio -> timidity.

I posted here how did i fix it:
http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/forum/5/394/i-have-to-restart-timidity-before-using-tuxguitar/

But, as i told on that post, it's for people that have same config as i have ( running pulseaudio and timidity from init.d scripts )
if you have pulseaudio daemon running as "autostarted" application on your desktop, that will not be the solution.

Lars, Norway

I made mine work! Had the same problem as the first posts claimed. I don't know what innstallations exactly made it work, but I searched other threads in the Ubuntuforum, and here's what I did:

I innstalled Timidity via the application innstaller (Think it's called "add/remove applications", and it's located in the programs tab on your desktop) After this, i innstalled all the packages for tuxguitar in synaptics [search: "tuxguitar"] (tuxguitar, tuxguitar-alsa and tuxguitar-oss were already innstalled)

Then, I applied some changes in Tuxguitar [Tools>Settings>Sound] I changed the MIDI sequencer from TuxGuitar Sequencer to Real Time Sequencer. That option was not there before I innstalled the packages. I also changed the MIDI port to Gervill, which was also not available before I innstalled the packages.

After closing the settings menu, and applying the changes (prompted when exiting the menu), I had sound!

Hope this works for others. I'm a bit of a newb in computing, but this worked for me.

stephane

Hello,
I had the same problem as you, but I solved it by installing Sun jre 1.6 and a soundbank in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.13/jre/lib/audio
You can find there
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/sound/soundbanks.html
It worked for me I hope it will work for you as well.

Ktechman

Lars,

Your solution worked in my case, I had some issues with alsa after a clean install of Jaunty and this is icing on the cake thank you for your post.

Flo0o

Hello
I've installed tuxguitar 1.1 correctly but i've still no sound

ezz, grimsby

I had no sound with 8.10 but followed Lars, Norway's tip (except in Tuxguitar [Tools>Settings>Sound] I set the Midi port to 'Java Sound Synthesizer' because I didn't have Gerbil as an option in mine).

Thanks Lars

sikerult

Right tip Lars!! thanks

Jig

Thanx Lars, I'v searched for that solution for a while (since I'v installed Jaunty.....)

Lije

Great work Lars, appreciate it.

Bruno Canongia

to allow java in sound settings
apt-get install tuxguitar-jsa

Bruno Canongia

If you receive the "midi system unvailable" msg.
Install the "alsa-aoss" package and start tuxguitar with
aoss tuxguitar

Wim

Lars, you're my hero! Thank you so much!

Wim

Ok, after a test with [url]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/n/nofx/franco_un-american_ver2_guitar_pro.htm[/url], it turned out that it didn't really work good. When there are more then 5 or 6 instruments, the sound is acting quite strange, a bit like playing all the notes at the same time, and sometimes when I pause it, I get a sound that just keeps going, it sounds almost like an american truck horn.

Does anyone know what the problem is or how to solve it?

Mike Lopantoni

Lars, now. i don't need Windows anymore, thanks to you. Cheers from Mexico

random guy

Thx a lot to
Lars, Norway
Now sound works perfectly fine for me, using ubuntu 9.04 x64.

Zvaigzdzius

Thanks Bruno Canongia. It works fine now.

LinuxLee

Thanks Lars your advice worked great!

r@ul (argentina)

Now works well, thanks Bruno

LuisKabuto

Lars, you're great!!! greetings from Venezuela!

felix

it works!!!!!thanks lars

Wildzj

thx Lars

malo

thanks everybody for the help...i had the same problem...
see you later

MooTM

All I did was install all of the packages, and after that it worked perfectly for me!

olagunde

Hi,

I had no sound on mscore, which has fluidsynth integrated. I had no sound on timidity either. Also jack and the standalone fluidsynth did not work. I followed the suggestions from the earlier posts here. And got sound.

Then I found that Ubuntu ran timidity as as server automatically. I used System -> Administration -> BootUp-manager, and disabled the automatic timidity server. Then mscore, fluidsynth and timidity worked.

The worst thing I see is "It worked for me". It is not at all helpful but rather extremely provocative for us for whom it does not work.

O.G.

Julian

One of the problems with timidity.. is that it don't have pulseaudio support.. and now, allmost distributions came with pulseaudio as default.
it causes that sometimes (or for some users depending the hardware ) timidity can't run with ALSA at same time as pulseaudio.. and it also cause problems later..

now fluidsynth have pulseaudio support.

About jack output, it's a similar story.. if you can run pulseaudio through jack, all works fine.. but if you try to run pulseaudio, and jack through ALSA together, you'll find also problems..

jorge figueroa

Great!!!!! thanks lars by the way synaptics is part of the operating system, not a website look for it. i have ultimate edition 2.2 running and the proses that lars used works!!! thanks a lot. now i can completely say bye bye to windows. Also for this os users try wine for windows installations in this operative system its great.

Jack Elliott

@undersoul:

Thanks very much mate, problem solved for me too.

Why isn't 1.1 in the repos?

Jack

Julian

1.1 is under latest ubuntu repositories
maybe you don't have latest ubuntu version.
it's normal that if you have an old version, tuxguitar 1.1 didn't exists when ubuntu was released. so ofcourse it couldn't be included.

aelfric

how do i install the packages for real time sequencer and MIDI port to gervill? :S

Julian

aelfric, first you must to have tuxguitar-jsa (java sound api) plugin installed.
then you must make sure that tuxguitar is running with openJdk

rene

we love lars, lars rocks, thanks mate, rene and luc in australia

Ralf

Thanks a lot Lars, i was about to give up Tux, but it's working very well right now... i didn't knew we needed Timidity to use Tuxguitar, now i've installed, all i needed to do was select Timidity port: 0 to hear my tab.

Peace guys! and thanks again!

Alessandro - Italy

Thank you Lars! Still asking why it works, but it does!