Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject TuxGuitar and Mac OS 10.6

Nightblaze

I have the latest ADC copy of Snow Leopard (10A432), but whenever I open TuxGuitar it shuts down without even showing the splash screen.
I tried using the java webstart version, and got this error.

Error: Unexpected exception: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

Here is the exception.
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Launcher.java:1550)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Launcher.java:1488)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Launcher.java:1299)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:114)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)
Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cannot load 32-bit SWT libraries on 64-bit JVM
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.C.(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.createDisplay(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.create(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Device.(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.TuxGuitar.displayGUI(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.TGMain.main(Unknown Source)
... 9 more

I am currently running 32-bit. 64-bit mode doesn't work either. I'm just hoping that this can get fixed as soon as possible. Maybe even before its released in stores. :)

Julian

I'm not really sure about because we don't have a mac to test and confirm these things.. in other words we are blind with mac releases.
Currently now tuxguitar is distributed with carbon version of SWT (but it's not working for you).
now SWT has released new packages for mac "cocoa".
you can try download both packages available
http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.5-200906111540/index.php
(at the bottom of the page, where " SWT Binary and Source " )

there is "swt-3.5-cocoa-macosx.zip" and "swt-3.5-cocoa-macosx-x86_64.zip"

when you uncompress one of these files, there should be a file named "swt.jar"
you have to replace this file on your tuxguitar ( you need download tuxguitar for mac.. it may don't work with the java web start version ) that should be at "Contents/MacOS/lib/swt.jar" if you explore the .dmg package.

so you can try both new swt versions.

TheHazel3yes

I does open now (however only with the 64 bit version), but it fails loading some plugin (error message states this) and when playing a song I get horrible sounds from my speakers - so it works, but you can't really use it.
Any clue what could be wrong?

Auria

Can you please post the exact error message?

Also can you go in Tools > Settings > Sound and tell what's at "MIDI Port" there? What if you try "Java Sound Synthesizer" ?

Julian

TheHazel3yes:

As auria say, we need the exact error message.
try run tuxguitar in a terminal, and see the full output exeption.
the error could be at coreaudio plugin ( if the binary file don't supports your platform )

or, at carbon-integration plugin ( now you are running cocoa SWT version, so swt carbon native libraries are not available for this plugin. )

TheHazel3yes

I made some screenshots...
Also I noticed that this weird distorted sound seems to be the new "Distortion Guitar" sound - "Overdrive Guitar" sounds the same... It definitely sounds very different from TuxGuitar on 10.5. "Steel string" sounds ok I guess, but "Clean guitar" sounds a bit strange too...

I don't have another MIDI port to choose, only the sequencer and it makes no difference if I choose Real Time or TuxGuitar Sequencer.

Anyway, here are the screenshots:
http://b5.s3.p.quickshareit.com/files/archive5bda7.zip

Julian

On your zip file, there are 2 error screenshots..
this is why you have "2" errors ?? or just a duplicated screenshot ?
If you see it 2 times, is because 2 plugins couldn't be loaded..
so i think both
coreaudio and carbon-integration plugins.

> It definitely sounds very different from TuxGuitar on 10.5.
Because on the other version i'm sure you had "coreaudio" selected on MIDI Port ( now you have Java Sound Synthesizer )

Please try to open it under a terminal ( not with 2 clicks )
to see the full error logs.

I think there is no solution for carbon-integration plugin if you run it with cocoa swt libraries.
but, the coreaudio problem may be an arch issue.
i don't know how hard could it be for you to build it..
did you ever built any application from sources ?

Auria

core-audio plugin is very probably an arch issue, when I built it I built a fat PPC and x86 binary, but no x64 support included.

Carbon integration could probably get its sibling cocoa integration plugin, that would really replace carbon in the future

egg

TX for the help. I used the swt.jar found in the Mac/Cocoa/x86_64 file. (the other didn't work).

At launch I see an error: "An error occurred when trying to init plugin". I click ok. "An error occurred when trying to set plugin status". I click ok.

TuxGuitar comes up. /File/open/* - Tux plays gp3, gp4, gp5 tabs!

So - thanks for suggesting the fix to this excellent program.

TheHazel3yes

yeah, but did you try distortion sounds? especially on lower tunings... i know for sure it didn't sound like that before 10.6

anyhow i will try starting it from terminal when i come back from barcelona - vacation's first. ;)

Auria

TheHazel3yes: That's what we're saying, TG has a core-audio plugin to use native sounds. But that plugin doesn't work on x64. So there instead of getting native sound you get the poorer Java sounds.

Tim

On 10.6 I got Tux to run.
BUT: I get 3 Error messages 1: "An Error ocurred when trying to init plugin"; 2: An Error ocurred when trying to set plugin status"; 3: "Java sound API canot be loaded"

- I don't get any sound
- I can't go to the peferences (there will not open any popup, also if I click on "about" there happens nothing)

???
Did I something wrong?

brian

Having the same issues would love a solution, if it helps guitar pro 5 has the same issues :S

Tim

Yes, at my system the same, guitar pro don't run also.

In Tux Guitar I can go to the preferences over TOOLS -> SETTINGS but I can't choose any midi driver.

I hope there will be a fast solution, because I'm doing a lot with Tux Guitar.

@Tux: Would there be a solution to fix this problem in a foreseeable time? Or it's a Mac Problem?

Julian

Tim,

The error "Java sound API canot be loaded" is very strange.. it's a java standard api.. it shouldn't be a platform problem ( as Java should be multiplatform ).

the other issues are not a mac problem.

there are 2 things here..

* the carbon-integration plugin.. you should remove this plugin if you run in cocoa swt instead of carbon..
it's not a bug.. it's just a plugin that uses low level SWT carbon libraries.. but if you don't run swt carbon, it's normal that it will not run.

Without this plugin, you'll lose some mac things just as make 2 clicks to a file, and then mac starts tuxguitar with the file.. ( so you'll need to open files from tuxguitar menu or toolbar )
Or some Mac menu items ( you'll need to use tuxguitar's menu instead.. as a windows application )

* the coreaudio plugin, ( it's the plugin that gives you coreaudio midi sounds )
in theory, the only needed to make it work, is just "rebuild" it for 64 bits..
it shouldn't need development changes, so you don't need to wait for future tuxguitar versions to make it work.
it should be very easy, just compile the plugin from sources.
but.. i don't have a mac or a cross compiler to do it..
and this is the problem.. we need somebody to do this work for us..
so to be more clear.. if anybody send me a compiled version of the native library for x86_64 (ofcourse for mac), i inmediatly add links to download a new tuxguitar-cocoa-x86-64 package. with the plugin included.

so what i try to say with all of this.. is that it's not a development bug that you'll find fixed on next 1.2 version..
it's just that we need to compile the native library for your OS ( and it's same for tg 1.0, 1.1, or future releases )

by the other hand.. assuming that we have a built library for coreaudio plugin..
my question is.. how does tuxguitar like under cocoa ??
i mean, are there any painting problems or something ???

TheHazel3yes

Ok, first about the carbon-integration: How do I remove this plugin? It's not in the plugin settings window...
And btw: Open files with a double click began to work with 1.1 (with 1.0 it didn't), but on 10.6 it has stopped working. I guess it is because of carbon, right?

About coreaudio: I really would like to help you, but to be honest I have absolutely no clue how to compile a 64 bit version. Besides that: Shouldn't it be possible to run 32 bit apps under 10.6? I have some 32 bit apps (among is iTunes!) running w/o problems...

Julian

>> Ok, first about the carbon-integration: How do I remove this plugin? It's not in the plugin settings window...

No it's not at plugins window, because it couldn't be loaded..
Open the tuxguitar folder ( as you did to replace swt.jar )
and go to the "share/plugins" folder..
there you should see a file named like "tuxguitar-carbon-integration.jar"..
just remove it. ( or move to another place if you want a backup )..

>> Open files with a double click began to work with 1.1 (with 1.0 it didn't), but on 10.6 it has stopped working

This is exactly the carbon integration plugin.. it didn't exists in 1.0 version (so this is why didn't work)..
now it exists, but you must use swt (carbon) to make it works..

There is no way to make this plugin works in cocoa.. no bugs to fix.. we just need to start a "new" plugin dedicated for cocoa ( tuxguitar-cocoa-integration ) to use as alternative.

>> but to be honest I have absolutely no clue how to compile a 64 bit version.

Here is where i'm "bling"...
i don't have a mac.. and i don't know enougth about it..
to compile the library you just may need a compiler, and dependency header/libraries..
but if i never used mac to develop, i can't give you steps by step..
as i readed ( auria must know better ) the IDE used for mac is named "Xcode" (or something like)..
in theory, downloading and installing it, it could be enougth to build the library..
not sure if "coreaudio" headers are included or if you must download them too.. ( java headers should be already included in your jre )..
but before build the library you need to configure these headers paths.. and some linker things.. and here is when i can't say you how to..
This is why i post the "reasons", i know they don't help you, but with them i wait for somebody that have a mac, and know how to compile C++.. and ofcourse he must want to help us :)...

>> Shouldn't it be possible to run 32 bit apps under 10.6?
Again, i'm blind..
if you have some 32 bit apps.. so you should be able to do it..
but, you should make sure that "java" is 32 bit too...
because it's java who later try load the native libraries..
if you make this try, ofcouse try back carbon (or install the 32 bit cocoa version )

Ollie

I know nothing when it comes to java or programming or anything like that, but perhaps you could use the OS' built in midi library or garage bands? Forgive me if this is completely nonsensical.

Auria

I think (from my Java experience in general, not specific to OS X) that 32-bits and 46-bits JVMs are really separate. So it seems the 64-bits JVM is the default one, but you could switch to a 32-bit JVM.

According to [1], you could simply open Java Preferences from /Applications/Utilities and instruct Java to use a 32-bits JVM. Then you should be able to use tuxguitar 1.1 unmodified.

About compiling for 64-bits, hard to tell for me either, since I don't have 10.6 nor 64-bits. Much code in the plugins was eventually deprecated; the switch from carbon integration to cocoa integration is mostly fine by me, I'd just need to find some time to write that. About the core-audio plugin, parts of which are deprecated too... I don't know what is supposed to replace it, nor do I have the time to do the research :/ The best hope atm is that those features, although deprecated, were not removed from 10.6.

[1] http://blog.founddrama.net/2009/09/a-note-about-java-and-os-x-10-6/

Anonymous

Hi Julian,

many thanks! Now it seems to work, but I havn't checked everything.

I 've set the JAva preverences to 32bit, started Tux Guitar (the original download file, not with the 64 bit swt.jar) and everything is working normal and also the popups for prverences wil open, and I can choose the midi driver - and I'm happy now.

Tim

Superfly

Auria's tip worked for me, i switched to the 32 bit VM, et voila
Thanks Auria!

SaivZ

Auria
U Are A Lifesaver :D
thanks a millionnn

TheHazel3yes

... and does this bring back CoreAudio plugin?
I can use TuxGuitar x64 just fine, but it sounds more or less horrible.
Another thing is that the sound is a bit ahead the display, meaning you hear the tone and shortly after that the note gets colored red in TuxGuitar. :(

Auria

@Julian: I checked further, and unfortunately SWT-cocoa doesn't make a cocoa integration plugin too easy. It registers an app delegate but doesn't expose it. If I register my own app delegate, I would overwrite SWT's, probably breaking it. The easiest and cleanest way would probably be to patch SWT or file a feature request >.<

@TheHazel3yes : I expect that running TG 1.1 in 32-bits mode would have the core-audio plugin work

Chris

Ok, can someone who got it working post up here the steps required to do so. Hard to follow through all the posts. Thanks in advance!

Warren

To get TuxGuitar working with OSX 10.6:

1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app
2. Make 32-bit as the default Java Runtime by moving the 32-bit entry above the 64-bit entry in the "Java Applications" list.
3. Close the Java Preferences app.
4. Open TuxGuitar
5. Yay!

Nightblaze

Ok, sorry I haven't been able to get back to this. Thanx to Auria and Julian for all there hard work. ;)
Sadly, I am no good with C++ programming. But, until someone can come along and compile it (with Julian's help :) ) we can use Auria's tip till then.
For those who are having trouble following Auria's instructions, I made a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUMZx4F-xx0

Julian

@Auria, Yes i agree to file a feature request to SWT team for this ( this way the plugin may work in future swt releases )

Anyway, i'm not complety sure if patch swt is needed (yes a native library ) because SWT, on allmost classes have a field named "handle" that is a C/C++ pointer to the native libraries. so if we find the pointer that we need we could access native libraries instance to extend them (instead of patch).
but however it don't make sense to do this job, if we don't know that the plugin will work in swt 3.6...

So i'll try to fill a feature request, and see what do they answer.. of it maybe there is something already done that we didn't find yet.

anyway, i have clear that for next release i'll make 3 mac packages
carbon-x86 ( like current package )
cocoa-x86 ( without the integration plugin )
cocoa-x86_64 ( without both intregration and coreaudio plugins )

Ofcouse if somebody sent me a built version of coreaudio plugin for 64bit, i'll add it to the package...

Thanks a lot for your help.

Auria

@Julian : Cocoa is written in ObjC; SWT obviously in Java. For Java-C/C++ links, there is the well-documented Jni bridge. SWT uses a much less known Java-ObjC bridge. So I'm sure someone who knows this bridge could get it working, but I can't understand how it works. So in this case the best solution is that the people who know it add this support

About native MIDI support, I found the new APIs to do this, so I could update the MIDI plugin (well it still owrks in 10.6 but is deprecated so best update it anyway). CoreAudio plugin will likely become CoreMIDI plugin.

If you file a new request, tell them that what we want is the ability to respond to the "file open" NSApplication delegate event. I found the area in SWT's code where they create the NSApplication delegate; they catch many "events" but, unfortunately, file open events are left out.
I could always create my own delegate on top of theirs, but I'd of course prefer if they supported it officially. They already have an unnofficial Cocoa integration plugin for eclipse that enables the use of native features, so this would fit nicely there

Julian

Yes, or.. coremidi plugin could be a newone ( lets keep coreaudio plugin for old versions compatibility.. )

There are other things that could be improved too..
gervill for example, on a friend's mac i tested it and didn't work.. but as he don't have internet, and no development tools, i couldn't see why..
there should be any thing on mac's java that don't builds on gervill.. ( i had tested it under IBM java, but under gnu/linux, and i saw that there is one interface that gervill implements that don't exists on this JRE.. only removing the "implements InterfaceName" gervill compiles and work without problems )..

the other plugin could be fluidsynth too...
fluidsynth, it's supposed that works under Mac.. so in theory, the tuxguitar-fluidsynth plugin should compile without problems for mac..
this way, with gervill or fluidsynth, users could load custom .sf2 files.

About the integration plugin.. it also have another feature, the menu actions.. there are a "Preferences, About, Quit" menu items that the plugin is listening.

I'm just thinking... what about mac version of eclipse.. does these features work ? because if they work, we could just see what is eclipse doing...

Auria

[quote]
Yes, or.. coremidi plugin could be a newone ( lets keep coreaudio plugin for old versions compatibility.. )
[/quote]

Sure; i don't have much time atm but eventually that should come into reality

[quote]
There are other things that could be improved too..
gervill for example, on a friend's mac i tested it and didn't work.. but as he don't have internet, and no development tools, i couldn't see why..
there should be any thing on mac's java that don't builds on gervill.. ( i had tested it under IBM java, but under gnu/linux, and i saw that there is one interface that gervill implements that don't exists on this JRE.. only removing the "implements InterfaceName" gervill compiles and work without problems )..

the other plugin could be fluidsynth too...
fluidsynth, it's supposed that works under Mac.. so in theory, the tuxguitar-fluidsynth plugin should compile without problems for mac..
this way, with gervill or fluidsynth, users could load custom .sf2 files.
[/quote]

Actually I never tried neither gervill not fluisynth; is fluidsynth included in the 1.1 package of tuxguitar for mac?
About fluidsynth, we should be able to make it work, I'd just need to build it; I don't have it build yet

[quote]
About the integration plugin.. it also have another feature, the menu actions.. there are a "Preferences, About, Quit" menu items that the plugin is listening.

I'm just thinking... what about mac version of eclipse.. does these features work ? because if they work, we could just see what is eclipse doing...
[/quote]

Yes, there is SWT integration code for this - for Cocoa SWT too. I managed to make it work.

Julian

fluidsynth plugin is integrated in source code package.
only windows release have it compiled as default ( i didn't compiled it in linux to don't force users to have dependencies installed ).

anyway, i was looking at fluidsynth's page after write my post, and it seems you need some dependencies to make it work under mac such as "jackosx" .. so i'm not sure if it's a good idea provide it as default ( maybe a downloadable link for these users that want to install it..) because users may be forced to install dependencies.
So i think it's not a priority now...

About gervill... i maybe had to start saying what gervill is :)..
gervill is not a software.. it's a java sound api implementation of the "javax.sound.midi.Synthesizer" interface. so it works in same level as the "java sound synthesizer".. but it's very better, it supports .sf2 and .dls soundbank readers ( instead of the poor java synth soundbanks ), it have other things such as reverb, chorus, that the java synth don't support.. and the best part is that it uses the default java audio output ( that can be configured by the users ) instead of the java synth, that you can't configure the audio drivers.

The goal of gervill is that it's written in pure java, so you don't need to build native libraries or think in arch problems..
we also don't need a new plugin.. tuxguitar-jsa (java sound api) can load it.

To install gervill, you should need to add gervill.jar to the classpath ( or to ext/ folder of your JRE )
then MidiSystem of java sound api automatically loads it as a plugin.

So now the problems :)..
I have tested it under GNU/Linux, on sun's JRE or in OpenJDK (where gervill is included as default so no install is needed ) and under windows.. and it works without problems.
but under mac, the day that i tried see it on my friend's mac.. nothing happened..
java sound api just didn't find it. no errors, no logs.. just as if it didn't exists..

Then, as i know mac JRE isn't a Sun JRE, i tried here, on my GNU/Linux install IBM's JRE.. and see if gervill worked..
and.. it also didn't.
so i tried build the gervill sources and i saw the error.
Now i don't have this IBM jre to test again, so don't exactly remember the error.

but it was something very easy. one gervill class, was implementing an interface that is not part of the JRE standard (it's from Sun's JRE ), and i didn't find the use of it.. i just removed this interface, and all compiled and worked under IBM jre..
so i'm really sure that if i test it again under mac and without this interface implementation, it must work.
The other option is to create the .class of the interface (so don't need to modify gervill's code).. but i'm not sure about legal terms to distribute this .class file.

So to be more clear.. i'm writting a book :)..
the issue should be try to build gervill from sources under mac's javac, to see where exactly are the errors.
then if it's what i think, i'll contact gervill's author to ask him to provide mac compatibility.

Auria

Hmmm... I couldn't find any direct confirmation, but I'm pretty sure that the OS X JVM is a direct port from the Sun JVM

In any case, I tried building Gervill using mac Javac, and everything went without a problem. Now I could try it, but i have no idea how to make it work ^^ I expect I need a soundbank somehow, I don't know where to install it though. if you want to get Gervill working on mac, I guess we'd need to have a chat on MSN :)

GregK

One more thing... I fixed the whole issue of being able to open the program, but now I can't open files I download from the internet. Anyone have a solution to that?

Auria

@GregK : are you trying to double-click them? Or menu File > Open ?

GregK

@Auria: I Just tried File > Open, and it's not working either. I'm on a Mac, though I think that's self-evident at this point seeing as that's what this thread is about =P.

Julian

GregK, Do you see any error message ?

if you was following this topic, did you maybe accidentally removed any tuxguitar-xxx.jar plugin ?? or disabled one at Tools -> Plugins ? ( ofcourse excluding plugins that we mention here )

Can you provide download links for these problematic files ?

GregK

I.E. http://www.911tabs.com/link/?2226879

Julian

Ok the file is fine.

so are you didn't remove the plugin tuxguitar-gtp.jar ?

GregK

I don't even see that... when I download it, I just get the program. Where would I find that?

Julian

If you didn't modify anything following this topic, so the plugin should be there..
to make sure, go to Tools -> Plugins, and see if "GPx File Format Plugin" is there, and if it's "enabled"

What tuxguitar version do you have ???

Try please open the application under a terminal, and paste here the error log.

GregK

It just says Cannot Open: and then the file name. I have the latest version, I don't why this isn't working, and I didn't see the plugin you were talking about at all.

Chris

I just got the same message. I tried to open a gp5 file but tuxguitar says: Cannot open and then the filename! i looked for the plugin, but i have it installed! So what can i do now? It's just not working on Snow Leopard, but on my old Leopard everything works fine!

Auria

@Chris & @GregK : YTry running TuxGuitar from terminal (get into TuxGuitar with "Show Package Contents", then open /Contents/MacOS/TuxGuitar - and paste what you get when it fails here

Chris

I tried it, but i can't open it with terminal. i thought i just had to write : open tuxguitar, or /tuxguitar? is this right? if not pls tell me how to open app. in the terminal! thx a lot for ya help

Julian

Chris, i don't have mac to give you exact steps
but as i understand what Auria says, you don't need to "write" anything..
you should go to the tuxguitar package, right click on it and click "Show Package Contents", then enter the subfolders Content -> MacOS -> TuxGuitar.. and right click to "tuxguitar".. there should be an option like "run in terminal"

Then when tuxguitar throw the error, you should see the full error log on this terminal, so we can know the error cause.

Auria

Julian is quite close; he's right except in the last bit : no need to right-click the executable in Contents/MacOS, just double-click it, it will open in a terminal window

Chris

I just opened it with the terminal and i get this after double clicking a gp5 file : 2009-09-14 21:13:45.609 java[836:170f] [Java CocoaComponent compatibility mode]: Enabled
2009-09-14 21:13:45.612 java[836:170f] [Java CocoaComponent compatibility mode]: Setting timeout for SWT to 0.100000
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at apple.awt.CGraphicsEnvironment.resetDisplays(CGraphicsEnvironment.java:100)
at apple.awt.CGraphicsEnvironment.displayChanged(CGraphicsEnvironment.java:50)
at apple.awt.CToolkit$4.run(CToolkit.java:1310)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:633)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at apple.awt.CGraphicsEnvironment.resetDisplays(CGraphicsEnvironment.java:100)
at apple.awt.CGraphicsEnvironment.displayChanged(CGraphicsEnvironment.java:50)
at apple.awt.CToolkit$4.run(CToolkit.java:1310)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:633)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

i think that's nothing special, because the text doesn't change after opening the file. the text also appears when i just open tuxguitar.
BUT
i played around and i found a way to open the file. if i open the it with tuxguitar, just in the menu, it works! by double klicking the file it refuses to start with an error. a little strange but at least I found a way to open it, finally!

Julian

Chris, this is exatly what this post talk about.
( it's different than the problem that " GregK" describe )

The tuxguitar-carbon-integration plugin isn't working under 64 bits, and it's this plugin who make work open files with 2 clicks ( out of tuxguitar ). and this plugin also enables the Mac application menu.

So to open files without this plugin, you need use "File -> Open" ( or click the toolbar open button )

GregK

I tried everything... is there another program I can use or SOMETHING? I need to use these...

Auria

@GregK : could you please try running tuxguitar from terminal and post output here? Hard to know what goes on otherwise

I am not a member but a TuxGuitar user. To get the program to run on Snow Leopard just set your Java setting so that 32-Bit is preferred. It will run then. That will allow you to run the program in the meantime.

Germany wants to thx

THX to the Guest, it works. Just set your Java settings on 32bit - hold the 64bit entry and pull it down.

Vince

I have tried the java 32 bits tips, the program is running but it cannot read any tab. Someone have an idea on what could be the problem ?

Anonymous

How exactly do you run it from the terminal... I can open the terminal but I don't know how to run tabs and get an error report.

Auria

@Vince : I'll tell you exactly the same as GregK, can you run TuxGuitar from terminal and report anything that appears there when opening a tab fails?

Steve

I changed from 32-64, all is now working as it should.

karlh

Gervill package available at https://gervill.dev.java.net/ was compiled under Java 1.6 and therefor doesn't work in Java 1.5 on Mac OS.

However the example applets are using gervill.jar compiled in Java 1.5 which can be downloaded here: https://gervill.dev.java.net/examples/gervill.jar

Auria

Julian and I have been on making sure that TuxGuitar 1.2 will run natively under 64-bits... so stay tuned ;) No release date but it's coming.

brian

Thanks for the heads up Auria its nice to keep up to date :)

please take your time its rushing isnt worth the stress :D

Julian

@karlh, yes we could see with Auria that the problem was the class version. (i'm not really sure why when i tested it i didn't saw this exception)

So it was tested and we can say that gervill is a good alternative for tuxguitar under macosx too...

Thanks for your help.

n0m3ut3nt3

Ok, me too. I can't open any gp files! I wait GuitarTux 1.2 :(

Auria

@n0m3ut3nt3 : I'll tell you like all others; what is a known issue is the impossibility to open a file by double-clicking it. Using the File>Open menu should still work. If menu Open doe not work for you, I'll ask you, like all others, to try and run TG from terminal

Greg K

For Gervill, I downloaded it, but it's a .jar file... the hell? Also, if/when it opens, can I play the tux guitar files in it?

Julian

Greg, i think you didn't understand what exactly gervill is..
it's not a click and run application..
it's a software synthesizer that works as a java plugin.

* to install it, you must copy the .jar file in your java "ext" folder.
i don't exactly knows the PATHs of mac for java ( Auria have to know, because he was testing it )

Under GNU/linux, or windows, this PATH is often:

JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext ( if you have a JDK )
JAVA_HOME/lib/ext ( if you have a JRE )

JAVA_HOME, means where Java is installed...

* Don't forget that you need gervill compiled for java 1.5, see karlh's post.

* Installing gervill is not enougth if you want nice sounds..
you have to find "audio" folder ( it must be at same place where "ext" folder ) and copy there a nice .sf2 ( soundfont ) file.

* Then start tuxguitar, and go to tools -> preferences : Sound
and select "Gervill" at MIDI Port option.

Auria

The Java home is something like :
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/lib/ext
(depends on your version)

and also... "i don't exactly knows the PATHs of mac for java ( Auria have to know, because he was testing it )" ==> "i don't exactly knows the PATHs of mac for java ( Auria have to know, because *S*he was testing it )" =P

ID10T

yeah, i've been back and forth between many sites now trying to get the "syn saw wave" instrument to work in my tuxguitar. along the way i somehow acquired the solution, however, i had to check the working version on my laptop to get the configuration right:

from tuxguitar menu --> tools
--> settings:
--> sound panel:
MIDI Sequencer = "real time sequencer"
&
MIDI Port = "Gervill"

--so that was the fix fix that worked for me. i wish i had been able to read from somewhere else that this was the solution that i needed. that way i could have saved a couple hours that i ended up spending on surfing/trouble-shooting.

later kids

TJnuge

Hey, got TuxGuitar 1.1
Faced all the problems that everybody else did.
had to change my SWT's from Carbon to Cocoa
Then got rid of Carbon Integration plugin.
Then finally got my first application launch, but still with error messages.
including: "An error occurred when trying to init plugin". & "An error occurred when trying to set plugin status."
Once I was in the program I was unable to navigate using the TuxGuitar menu bar, and the program wouldn't read .ptb files.

So i just trashed everything.
Changed my Default Java Application to 32-bit.
Then re-downloaded the application and it immediately launched.
I now longer have the error messages
& I am able to navigate, through the menu bar,
But I still cannot open .ptb files and I don't know why.
I know you guys have been working your asses off
But i'd appreciate some help if you guys can help.
My error message is as Follows:
"ERROR Cannot Open File://localhost/Users/TJ/Downloads/a_hard_days_night.ptb

ConnoR

Fucking ae! cheaz bo work great!

J

So as I understood, this general problem will not be fixed in the further versions? Or at least "can't" ?

Julian

J, Technically this is not a bug, is just a "not supported platform".

For next version we are going to support a new "cocoa" package of tuxguitar for both 32 and 64 bit archs, and it will include a cocoa-integration plugin (similar to carbon-integration plugin).

So there will be 3 mac releases:
cocoa-x86 (using 32bit version of SWT Cocoa)
cocoa-x86_64 (using 64bit version of SWT Cocoa)
carbon (Same as current)