Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject Really bad static

Zatara214

Almost every time I open a file (usually Gp5) with Tuxguitar, I get horrible static instead of MIDI notes. This only happens 80% of the time or so right off the bat, and is easily solvable by restarting the program as many times as it takes for it to decide to play notes properly, but this can also happen during playback. Playing a MIDI file, Tuxguitar will simply cut out to static. This has happened for me under both Ubuntu 9.04 and the latest 9.10 alpha releases. Even while Tuxguitar is playing static, other programs (such as SMPlayer for MP3 files) play back music just fine.

I'm using Gervill for playback, using gm.dls from my Windows installation to get Windows MIDI sounds to work under Ubuntu. However, this issue happens even when using the default Java soundbank.

Julian

Can you define "static" notes ? i really don't understand what are you talking about.

Auria

Julian: you can hear static here : http://www.freesound.org/packsViewSingle.php?id=2236

karlh

Are you using SUN Java, OpenJDK Java and what version?

Zatara214

I'm using the latest version of OpenJDK. I got an update for it about five minutes ago, looks like a new Ubuntu build, but it has the same problem.

Julian

Ok now i understand...
I assume that you have pulseaudio as default audio system. (it's default in ubuntu)... but, is gervill running with pulseaudio driver ??

Try open the pulseaudio volume control (or exec this command: pavucontrol ) while tuxguitar is playing the song.

And on "playback" tab of the volume control.. what is the exactly name you see there of the playback process???

If you run it with the java-pulse openjdk plugin, it should be named "java: Audio Stream"

but if you see a different name, maybe gervill is running with alsa driver, and pulseaudio is capturing it from pulse-alsa plugin.. which often makes these sound problems.

So if it's not using pulse output..
you can configure default java audio output driver,
just modify (as root)
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/sound.properties

and add these lines to the file:
javax.sound.sampled.Clip=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
javax.sound.sampled.Port=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
javax.sound.sampled.SourceDataLine=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
javax.sound.sampled.TargetDataLine=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider

Ofcourse i'm asumming that your openJdk, have included pulse-java.jar
Check yourself if this file exists at:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/ext

So then, restart tuxguitar, and gervill should runs over pulseaudio instead of alsa.

Zatara214

and add these lines to the file:
javax.sound.sampled.Clip=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
javax.sound.sampled.Port=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
javax.sound.sampled.SourceDataLine=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
javax.sound.sampled.TargetDataLine=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider

These were actually already in the file, but commented out. Uncommenting them did the trick, thanks.