Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject Tracks out of tune when opened/imported

thehereaway

Whenever I open tux guitar it works fine. However, if I open a previous project or import a midi file then the tracks suddenly become incredibly out of tune when I press play.

It's rather annoying.

rogerm42

Just a question... Do the notes show up in the wrong place on the staff and strings? Or do the notes just "sound" wrong when you press play?

Perhaps it would be helpful to post which version of tuxguitar you downloaded and what platform you're using (linux, windows, etc.).

And perhaps someone else will have a better idea how to help you out.

Julian

thehereaway,
some notation applications export MIDI using 1 octabe upper than the one often used by tablature editors.
this is why when you import a MIDI file there is a "transpose" option..

If that is the problem, you could try to set it to "-12" ( 1 octave lower )

thehereaway

The notes just sound wrong, like horribly out of tune and fuzzy.

It seems i've been able to fix the problem though, by turning the java plugin off and back on again.

Julian

So, you talk about sound ( no matters if you import a MIDI, open a .tg file, or if you create a newone ).

there are some alternatives to play the sounds..
but you have to tell us what is your OS.

at Tools -> Settings.. in sound section.
what MIDI Port options do you see available to select ?

Not Desi Arnez

Just something to help:
When you're editing a track that's already been made in Guitar Pro (for a personal example, I'll use The Crying Orc by Burzum,) if you use the offset in the track properties menu, and save it back as (in this case) a .gp4, when you come back, the track will be back to the same pitch.

Something similar happens with bends and bar bends, as I was adding a little orchestral backing to the masterpiece by Varg Vikernes, but I had to use the bar to properly give it sub-octaves. I saved it (as a .gp4, by just clicking the save button) and when I re-opened it later to show it off, all the bar bends were just dips, and it was back to its old pitch (I had dropped it to C# standard using the offset). I changed them back, and saved it.

Later, I came back to it, and guess what? Same problem. Then, I felt like experimenting, so I redid it, and then clicked "save as..." and saved it as "burzumrevamped.tg".

It has worked ever since.

Julian

Not Desi Arnez, yes not only for tuxguitar.. for every application that have it's own file format it's hightly recommended to save the files in the application 's format..
then if you want a different format to open in other software, or send it to a friend.. ok.. so you export the file. but to work with the file you have to keep the application format.
why ? because there are conflicts between applications and when you export to a different format, so the features are different (or some issues not supported) that causes you lost document data because they can't be written.