Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject changing time signature for single measure

gepomuk

Thanks a lot first for this great program. Anyway I have a complaint / suggestion about something which is really annoying to me:
I usually use many different time signatures during a song and sometimes I decide to change the signature for only a couple of bars in the middle of the song and add or remove some notes. As far as I can see this is impossible in tuxguitar till now. What it does:
eg I want to change a single 4/4 measure to 6/4. If I do so, the whole rest of the song will keep the same distance in beats to the place where I made the change, though the measure borders have moved by 2 beats. There seems to be no way to shift the rest of the song two beats further to make room for the 6/4 measure.
The other way round it's the same, if I change the 4/4 measure to 3/4, the rest of the song is shifted 1 beat further from its measure borders.
There seems to be a bug as well: If I make a measure longer by 2 beats and then make it shorter by 2 beats, the song structure is totally weird, all the markers and repetition signs are not in the place where they were before, not even the notes seem reach all the same places when there is a triplet-feel.
Anyway, I know, TG can't behave like GP just having more notes than allowed in a shrinked measure or less in an enlarged measure because of the obligation that every measure has to be filled with the correct number of notes, which is basically very helpful.
But I would very much appreciate the following solution: there should be a checkbox in the time signature dialog, allowing to chose "preserve later note positions" or "preserve later measure content", the first making TG do what it does now (which can be useful if you want to change the groove but not the number of notes actually), the second doing the following:
1) If the new time signature makes the measure(s) longer than before, just add as many rests as necessary to each measure as necessary to make it "full".
2) If the new time signature makes the measure(s) shorter than before, remove the notes that are "too much" for the new measure.
This would be the last thing that keeps me using Windows, so I would be really grateful if this feature would appear in a future version.

Anonymous

+1. Say, on a mostly 4/4 song, occasionally I'll end up an extra tempo or two between riffs/themes. I don't
think there's a way to do this in TG; I end up with a measure that ends with two or three tempos of silence that aren't actually meant to be respected.

Anonymous

Hey, it turns out there is, at least in 1.2. One can change the tempo at any point. :-) Great, love this app.

TsVaH

Made patched build based on the latest svn code wich adds additional checkbox. No idea why developers ignored this..seems totally necessary to me =)
Anyway..if anyone needs it here's the build(x86_64)..
http://www.mediafire.com/?w8llo5omexq38nq

b4dc0d3r

TsVaH, if you can tell me what you changed, I would like to include it here. Or I can give you SVN access if you prefer to make the commit yourself.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxguitar-fork/

TsVaH

I really havent changed much =) 2 ifs and 1 dirty bool)
Made a patch based on my code..
http://pastebin.com/KpMPwcJT

Ignatz

Hi gepomuk,

The default setting is to change the time signature from the measure you are working on until' the end of the song.

As a test I aimed to just change the time signature of just one measure of a song using the default settings.I changed the tempo of a measure of a 3/4 song to 4/4 at the midway point. The result was that the measures upto and including the 4/4 measure was as I wanted them to be, but every measure after wasn't. I then moved to the next measure and converted the remainder of the song back to 3/4. Everything was now exactly as I intended. There was no problem.

The default setting can be altered to allow the change of one measure by unchecking the "To the end" checkbox I changed the time signature of one measure mid-way through a song. Again everything was fine.

The only thing needed is just an enhancement so that the user can change a range of measure rather than the two existing option of the limited "change one measure only" and the clumsy "change to the end."

oldwhtman

I'm using version 1.2 as provided by Fedora 15. I want to insert a measure in the middle of a song that is in 4/4 time. I want this new measure to be in 2/4 time without changing the measures that follow. It almost works, but the remaining measures are moved two beats to the right. Has this been fixed?

Anonymous

I usually work around this by adding multiple measures. At least one to make the change I want, and then one more afterwards to take the new rests. If I added one beat to the first, as in making a 4/4 measure in a 3/4 song, I'd change the second measure to 2/4, so it's blank, and then delete it. As long as it adds up to the same total you added in (6 in this instance), you can safely manage it. It's long and roundabout, but it works.