Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject MIDI detection

Andi

Hi there,

I have been using tuxguitar for a while with Ubuntu 8.04, great program! Today I installed Ubuntu 10.04 and tuxguitar can't find any midi devices.

I have an Audigy card which has a sequencer and I installed a soundfont. aplaymidi plays .mid files and lists four available ports.

Neither tuxguitar 1.1 which comes with the distribution, nor tuxguitar 1.2 recognize any midi device (alsa plugin installed).

Timidity isn't recognized, either.

I remember that it was a hassle to setup tuxguitar with the hardware sequencer the last time, but the config dialog at least detected timidity.

Anyway, if I press play tuxguitar produces sound. I guess this is the java sequencer, but it sounds horrible. Therefore, I'd prefer the hardware.

Thanks in advance,
Andi

Julian

What is the result of excecute "aconnect -o" in a terminal ? and how did you installed tuxguitar ?

could you test if the live version works ?
http://community.tuxguitar.com.ar/tuxguitar-live/

Andi

Thanks for your reply.

The output of aconnect -o:
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 16: 'SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0360]' [type=kernel]
0 'Audigy MPU-401 (UART)'
32 'Audigy MPU-401 #2'
client 17: 'Emu10k1 WaveTable' [type=kernel]
0 'Emu10k1 Port 0 '
1 'Emu10k1 Port 1 '
2 'Emu10k1 Port 2 '
3 'Emu10k1 Port 3 '
client 128: 'TiMidity' [type=user]
0 'TiMidity port 0 '
1 'TiMidity port 1 '
2 'TiMidity port 2 '
3 'TiMidity port 3 '

I installed tuxguitar using the deb package that is given here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxguitar/files/TuxGuitar/tuxguitar-1.2-ubuntu-i386.deb

The live version detects both the hardware sequencer and timidity and can play music with the hardware sequencer.
It also starts very much faster (time the splash screen shows) than the .deb version.

However the live version is very unstable. It crashes immediately when I try to open a file, whether it's a tg file or a gp4 file.

Julian

both, .deb and live version are same thing (but different packages)

Maybe you run the .deb version with different java than live version ?

try, with installable .deb, run in terminal:
tuxguitar -i

just to see what TG Version are you using..
you can also test at Tools -> Plugins, disable Java Sound Api plugin just to check if it's conflicting with Alsa plugin.
( if you have Jack or OSS plugins there, try also disable them )

Andi

Uhm, for some reason the deb version works perfectly well now. The Settings dialog shows many options and the hardware sequencer produces sound.
Loading files works, too, without any crashes.

The only thing I did, was installing Rosegarden and some updates. Maybe there were some dependencies missing that were not mentioned in the tuxguitar deb-file or maybe the setup of rosegarden changed some system configuration, or perhaps the updates fixed it (mainly kernel updates).

Tuxguitar still works after rebooting and without starting rosegarden before.

So I'm happy now, but also confused....
Anyway, thanks a lot!