Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject treble 8 clef in Lilypond ukulele export

Jay

TuxGuitar has a great Lilypond export, including the treble 8 octave clef for standard guitar notation.

However, I also want to make ukulele PDFs via Lilypond.

Ukulele sheet music is not transposing an octave like a guitar. It uses a standard treble clef, not an octave clef.

In TuxGuitar, I have tweaked the settings to get the proper midi sounds and looks on the staff:

4 strings
12 offset

A4
E4
C4
G4

However, export to LilyPond still creates an treble 8 octave staff.

Mucking around in the LilyPond file to change the staff to standard staff moves the notes to the wrong octave.

The other workaround I've tried is writing in the wrong octave in Tuxguitar (I.e., no offset, write one octave higher), so when I change the staff in LilyPond, the notes sit in the correct octave.

The problem with this workaround is that the tabs are all wrong. The best way around it is to write the tabs above the 12th fret. But still, the tabs are 12 frets off when exported to LilyPond.

Is there a way to create a standard treble clef output for octave offset (offset 12)? Or to include this feature in the next release?

PS, another LilyPond output feature that I have to deal with in writing ukulele music is that the chord boxes in LilyPond output come out with six strings... But that is another issue.

Thanks for reading!

Jay

Sleeter

Here's how I do it:

I write the tabs with the settings you use. Then when I want to export it I go the the track properties and move it up an octave (5). I then export it.

Open the .ly file, change the "treble_8" to "treble". Then on each one of the fret charts add w:4; If you use find/replace in your editor, that goes quickly.

I also add a few lines to remove the dots, time signatue, and rest from the tab in the tab staff context in the layout:

override Dots #'transparent = ##t
override Rest #'transparent = ##t
override TimeSignature #'stencil =##f

That works pretty well for me. If TG had a regular treble clef and always added the w option on the chord charts it would be way easier!

ACSpike

I just put a patch in the tracker to add the correct string width on chord diagrams.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3420600&group_id=155855&atid=797448