Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject Can't Open Tabs on TuxGuitar

John Tucker

Hello, I just downloaded this software for Mac and don't really understand how to play the tabs with the software. I have tried going to Guitar Pro and import the tabs with Tuxguitar, but everytime it just goes to a Transpose menu and then says Error. Please help. Thanks.

Johnny

> "Going to Guitar Pro and import the tabs with Tuxguitar"

I haven't a faintest idea what you are trying to do. TuxGuitar opens *.gp3, *.gp4 and *.gp5 files, try that with file->open.

John

lol, I don't either. I'm not sure how Tuxguitar works. What do you mean by *.gp3...? How do you open those in the software and where do I get those files from to learn tabs? Thanks for your quick response.

Auria

"Going to Guitar Pro and import the tabs with Tuxguitar"

I can't understand that sentence, can you please elaborate on what you are doing?

*.gp3 means files saved by guitar pro 3. *.gp4 means files saved by Guitar Pro 4, etc.

You say it says "error", but surely it says more than that? If you think you've been following the right procedure can you post the exact error message?

John

Well honestly, I don't know the procedure that I'm suppose to be following. What I did was just download a tab onto my desktop and then open Tuxguitar and then try to import the file that I saved on my mac. I keep trying to find places that explain how you are suppose to open tabs with Tuxguitar but just can't seem to figure it out. I was looking in other forums and some people said that you have do download "sound" something. not really sure what that is either. Thanks for your help.

John

Sorry, for my last post I was referring to Soundbank.
P.S. Can you tell I'm new to this stuff. :)

Julian

Hi, i want help you, but i can't if i don't know what happens.

you say: "try to import the file that I saved on my mac"
And then ?? Do you see any error ?? what that error says ?

The errors exists to tell you what happended. And to help you i need first know what happened.
Also other important thing for help, is know what exactly version of tuxguitar do you have installed. ( see from menu: Help -> About )

> some people said that you have do download "sound" something
That "soundbank", if for play files ( herad the sound ).
not for load them

Julian

Mmm, we posted at same time
so, do you see an error called "Unavailable Soundbank Error" ???

John

Julian, ok well when I save a tab to my computer desktop, I go into Tuxguitar and hit import midi and then open the tab that is on my desktop. Then it goes to a transpose message asking my about transpose notes? And then it goes to an error message that just says cannot open file and then just gives the file destination. For the version, it is 1.0 rc1. Again, I don't know if I'm doing this right. I just want to open a tab with this software so that I can play it. Thanks for your help.

Julian

Well, you are importing a "midi" file. but are you sure that is a "midi" file ?
As i understand you saved the file with guitar pro.
so it's supposed the file must be a "guitar pro" file and not a "midi" file. ( or did you "export midi" from guitar pro ? )

To open guitar pro files, you don't need go to "File -> Import " menu.. you just need go to "File -> Open"

John

Ok it finally worked for me. When I first tried, I did the file->open, like you said and it would not work. So I tried doing the import thing. After your post I tried opening the file again and it worked! Thanks a lot for your help. Now I'm ready to jam. Thanks again!

Beliel

I still have this similar problem as John above had.

I'm running the Tuxguitar 0.9 on Ubuntu 8.04 and with all the .gp5 files I've tried to open Tuxguitar gives this error message: Cannot open file: /media/disk/tabs/file.gp5

I'm trying to open files from an external hard disk drive.

Thanks for the (seemingly) great work and quick response!

Beliel

Ah, I found the answer elsewhere. I just need a newer version of Tuxguitar for these .gp5 files. Problem solved.

(Ubuntu's Aptitude claims this version to be able to open GP5 files, but still distribute the 0.9 version)

Julian Orona

This is what you have to do, save the tab to your documents, go to documents and open the tab, 2 options will come up, press the option that says something like "find program to pen tabs" or something like that (youll know what im talking about, then programs will pop up and youll probably not find tuxguitar so browse for it and open it, it'll take you back to the menu with the programs, press tuxguitar again and WAHLAH!

Zak Hammat

My TuxGuitar won't open tab the_ministry_of_lost_souls, it is a GP5 file but when I try opening it I get an error message saying "Cannot open: file:/C:/Users/Zak/Documents/TuxGuitar/the_ministry_of_lost_souls.gp5" but my other GP file tabs open fine, I downloaded them all from ultimate-guitar.com, here is the link: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/d/dream_theater/the_ministry_of_lost_souls_guitar_pro.htm

Anonymous

I downloaded all 3 versions of the DT song and they all opened just fine.

Anonymous

how do i open tabs on a tuxguitar with a windows system?

jerry

How do I import songs/tabs from music on my computer to tux guitar? I use reaper to record but have thousands of songs stored and want to view in tux.

Anonymous

What file format is the music/tabs in?

Anonymous

okay I keep getting
cannot open: file/C:/Users/Colten/documents/Asperations.tg
everything i try to open up from my external hard drive gives me that. and even the songs i try to download from my bands email.

Ignatz

Hi anonymous,

If you save/transfer the files to your desktop and then open with Tuxguitar is there still a problem?

Are you sure you are using the latest version of Tuxguitar? (Latest version 1.2, you can check which version by finding "About Tuxguitar" in the dropdown menus).

Presumably you are using Windows? Can you check whether the files can be opened on another Windows system? Can you check whether the files can be opened on a non-Windows system?

fender

I've got the same problem here as well. when i try to open a
gp5, gp4, or gp3 file on tux guitar for windows it goes file open error. what should i do when that happens?

Clarky

Stop trying to import them, just OPEN them!! Start tux, click open, then open the gpro file!!

DoperOne

On a pc, right click on a gpro file and click "open with", then find and choose "Tux". Now tux will open from double clicking a gpro file..

Clarky

You need to type ur songs note by note into tux, you cant just drag in a mp3!!

DoperOne

You dont have to download the gm sound bank.. If tux starts but has no sound go to tools/settings/sound and try the other midi settings

Clarky

The "Cannot open a file" message either means the tux program version is to old, or usually, that the gpro/tux file ur opening is corrupted

Clarky

I had this prob once tryn 2 install tux on a mates OLD laptop. Tux wouldnt open, some midi error.. So i copied an already installed tux program folder from a working computer and pasted onto the old laptop and again tried to open tux, dunno why but now it works!!

Doper One

My mate just installed it on a flash drive so he can run it off that, on any computer

Anonymous

Version feel very good to be yourself louis vuitton neverfull mmand your achievements in life. You need to dig deep in your pockets, authentic Louis Vuitton bag, partly louis vuitton neverfull pm because a lot of cheap imitations explains. Seasonal or special 5 digits, and bags. But their prices become. Cheap luyiluyiwei handbag store can be found in boutiques. Many of them are untrue LV handbag replica, but LV purse who sold. Shop the first Louis Vuitton to openlouis vuitton neverfull gm in the middle of 19 century. Profile is a description of all models of a Louis Vuitton bag. Think how many LV bags at retail, Louis ยท Most of the hundreds of dollars selling Louis-Vuitton and Louis Vuitton canvas speedy louis vuitton alma mm spending ideas to do very easy to like. Louis Vuitton bags now standard international luggage.

cheap designer handbags

Bring her a cheap designer handbags, it is a perfect show to the charm of her art, why not order cheap handbags as a gift to your lover? We provide a lot of cheap bags here, you can enjoy a cheap designer bags. All cheap purses are newest style & excellent quality. Welcome to our cheap designer purses store.