Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject 1.0: Save messes up Harmony

Telemaster

Hi tuxguitarreros,

I have tested TuxGuitar 1.0 for a while (the cvs build and also the new downloadable Installer), and met one problem: Saving (to tg, gp4 and gp5) messes up harmonics when using, umh, jazzy notations (6 b's ;-) ) - the MIDI is fine (and so is the lilypond).

What have I done wrong, or is there a flaw in TuxGuitar? The only persistent format is MIDI, if I re-import it, it is fine (though the meta-information is, of course, lost).

If it helps, I can provide more information via PM.

Cheers,

The Telemaster

Julian

Hi,
i can't understand what "messes up" and "6 b's" means (english is not my native lang).
Can you be more specific please ?

Johnny

Well, I know what "messes up" means, but I still don't understand what you are talking about.

What do you presume by a "harmony" in TuxGuitar? Note order? I've never seen "numbers" screwed up in TG.

Maybe the best way to explain the problem is to send GPX file, which will get messed up once again saved in TuxGuitar?

Or be more specific. :)

Julian

Ok, i think i know what is happening
tell me... are you sure the file is not correctly openned ?? or is just you don't listen the sound as it should ??

If it's true ( the sound question ), is a known bug of "Java Synthesizer", it was reported for some users some time ago. but we can't fix it because the Synthesizer implementation is a "close" project by Sun.
I suggest you use the Alsa output.
try install "timidity" and connect tuxguitar to it.

Telemaster

Hello folks,

thank you for all the quick replies - what I mean is, you enter the tune, play it OK, export iot to MIDI, close TuxGuitar. Then you open it and the flats and sharps are wrong! The tune I noted was in Gb (with 6 "b" signs), and though the MIDI was fine, after re-opening it there was a complete cacophony.

Another encounter: I wrote a tune with some dotted note durations, saved it as gp4, opened it again and the dots have gone.

Does this suffice to pinpoint the problem? If not, let me know.

Keep it up,

The Telemaster

Julian

Ok, i think i understand now.
but MIDI file format don't include that music notation things.
i mean, if you have a "flat" note, you can't specify that on a .mid file. you can only set the "NOTE ON" midi message, with the channel, key and velocity value ( from 0 to 127 ).
So as on MIDI you can't save the guitar things like: tunning, sharp/flats, clef, etc.. tuxguitar will never able to restore them. ( that's why tuxguitar, and allmost apps has their own file formats )

The only way to know if the MIDI file was correctly saved, is play it on a midi player (e.g: timidity, aplaymidi ) and you must listen the same as when you played the original file on tuxguitar. ( ofcourse, if you made a transpose when export the midi file, the sound will be other )
Then, to know if tuxguitar open right it, you must play the file on tuxguitar and listen the same as on the midi player.

> I wrote a tune with some dotted note durations...
Dotted? or Double-Dotted ?
GP* file format, don't have double-dotted support, so it can't be saved.
but yes for "dotted". and it work without problems for me.
if you talk about dotted and not of double dotted, please, do you have any way to send me the original .tg file ?

Telemaster

Hi Julian,

well, you are partly right - the "Save to MIDI" will return the tune to sound the same, but "Save to .tg, gp4 or gp5" returns a different tune... Or I have done something really wrong ;-)

Double-dotted is possible, I must double--check the dot :-D

I cannot send stuff before I get back home on the weekend, but then I will try to prepare the file(s) and verify the problem(s) to give you the bbest possible problem description.

I love the Lilypond Export, this gives me the chance to send scores to the pianist I sometimes fool around with - Nice to have this Export now, having also an import would be king of cool.

Keep on rockin'!

Cheers,

Peter

Julian

> but "Save to .tg, gp4 or gp5" returns a different tune
Ok, it don't should happends, but i can't reproduce it here.

you mean for example add a note: String 1, Fret 5 but then when you open the file you see that note on Fret 7 ??

Or you see a different tunning on Track -> Properties dialog ?

i really can't understand.. maybe if you show me after/before screenshots of the tablature i'll understand better.

Telemaster

Hi tuxguitarreros,

as promised, I dug a littlle into the "save" problem - actually, I found it does not appear saving to .tg, only to .gp* in RC2. Still, it is funny.

The correct score is:
[code]
E|------2------------2-------------1----|------2------------2-------------1----|------2------------2-------------1----|
B|------4------------4-------------2----|------4------------4-------------2----|------4------------4-------------2----|
G|------3------------3-------------3----|------3------------3-------------1----|------3------------3-------------1----|
D|-1-------------1-----------------3----|-1-------------1-----------------3----|-1-------------1-----------------3----|
A|----------------------------1---------|----------------------------1---------|----------------------------1---------|
E|--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
[/code]

I save it to gp4, close TuxGuitar, start TuxGuitar again, open the gp4, and here it is:
[code]
E|------3------------3-------------3----|------3------------3-------------3----|------2------------3-------------3----|
B|------4------------4-------------3----|------4------------4-------------1----|------4------------4-------------1----|
G|------2------------2-------------2----|------2------------2-------------2----|------3------------2-------------2----|
D|-1-------------1-----------------1----|-1-------------1-----------------1----|-1-------------1-----------------1----|
A|----------------------------1---------|----------------------------1---------|----------------------------1---------|
E|--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
[/code]

What the ... has happened there?!? Mysterious ;-) ... Maybe a new way of jazz?

Okay, the other problem was definitely double-dotted notes, they do not get exported to gp4. My fault.

My conclusion: Save to .tg and keep a MIDI will help.

I must repeat, you made a fantastic job on TuxGuitar, one of my favorite fun programs, and I like sharing the stuff I made with my noisemates via lilypond. Got a TeX Guru on piano ;-)

Keep it up!

Cheers,

The Telemaster

Julian

Hi,
yes i saw that bug last week. It happend with all GP* output streams ( was a beat notes sort problem ).
this bug was fixed on CVS version.

Thanks for report!!
Bye