Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject / by Zero error when trying to play back gp5 file

suicidepills

A friend of mine wanted to show me a song that he was working on. He plugged in his USB key and I opened the gp5 file that he created in Guitar Pro. The file played perfectly and I decided to save it to my HDD using the "Save As..." command. Now when I try to play the file from my HDD, I get an error saying "/ by zero"

What does this mean? Why did the file play without a hitch before but now seems to cause problems?

In an attempt to circumvent the problem, I tried to export the song as a MIDI so I listen to it in a different application. However, when I do this, I just get an error saying "Cannot export: " A MIDI file with the specified filename IS created, but it does not contain any data.

I'm using TG 1.0 RC1 on Windows XP SP2.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks,

-sp

Julian

do you have any way to send me the file to see the problem ??
what release did you download ?? ( i mean: Jet, GCJ, or classic java release )

suicidepills

I'll have to check with my friend. He's an artsy type so I'd be willing to bet that he wouldn't want me sending his work to someone else... I'll ask though.

The release that I downloaded was the Jet release.

Thanks for your help! :)

suicidePills

I checked with my friend and he said that he wouldn't feel comfortable having his work "out there." Is there anything that can be done without the file?

suicidepills

Also, I can confirm that the problem continues to occur with RC3 (Both JET and GCJ releases)

Johnny

You should know, all your frend sends to Julian is open-source. :) He's so LGPL. :D

Anyway, if you can reproduce a bug, send it please. If it's only one MIDI file, then we can wait for the same bug to show up again in the future...

Julian

Hi,
> I can confirm that the problem continues to occur with RC3
If the file wasn't successfully saved because any RC1 bug.
you'll not able to load it with other future versions.

I mean, this is a "saving" bug ( not opening )
What i need to reproduce the bug is the original file ( not the saved file ) to try save and see what's wrong.

> he wouldn't feel comfortable having his work "out there.
I can only promise you "nobody" will see that file ( and i'll remove it after fix the bug ).
But ofcourse i understand if he don't want send me it.

> Is there anything that can be done without the file?
Yes but it'll be hard.
1* the most easy, open the original file with RC3, and save as. then try to load the file again to see if problem still happening

2* see the original song.. what have it. Maybe some non UTF texts ( see track names, song properties, etc. )... had the file chord or effects ( what effects )...

what i need is a way to reproduce the bug here.
if i can reproduce it, i'll be able to fix the problem.

Benoit

I don't know whether you solved this trouble since 2008.

Maybe you saved it on your HDD through the "reading only" mode. You should try this: right click on the file, then you'll see 2 boxes by the bottom of the window. Check or uncheck the one that reads "reading only". Maybe it won't work, I dunno

Benoit

"the bottom of the window" refers to the property window