Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject Sharps, Flats and Naturals

jfoo

I'm not sure, but I think there's a problem with sharps, flats and natural signs.

Suppose we are in the key of C (no sharps or flats), and one measure contains 4 quarter notes: C D# E D#. In musical notation (I think), this would be notated with a C note, a D note with the sharp sign, an E note, and a D note WITHOUT the sharp sign.

TuxGuitar is putting sharps by both "D"s.

Similarly, if the notes are C D# D D#, the notation would be C D with a sharp, D with a natural and D with a sharp.

TuxGuitar is notating this with C D# D (no natural) D#

It's been a long time since I learned notation, so I may be mistaken here.

j

Julian

That isn't supported by tuxguitar yet.
TuxGuitar is a guitar "tablature" editor application.
the "score" support is only a simple feature.
so you'll found a lot of missing things like this.

jfoo

> TuxGuitar is a guitar "tablature" editor application.
> the "score" support is only a simple feature.

I think the score support is more than just a simple feature. The TuxGuitar application is very cool, and I really like the score support. The problem with accidentals (sharps, flats) is small, I hope it gets fixed one day, but it doesn't detract at all from my use of the program.

j

Julian

I just tried say, this isn't a bug. it just wasn't planned yet. ( that don't mean it'll not be on the future )

> I really like the score support
You can like it ( and i'm happy for that), but it still be simple. there are a lot of things you can't do.
e.g: You are not able to add flats on a "sharp" based key signature, and you can't add sharps on a "flat" based key signature.
That things are just not implemented yet.

We are near to release the first version of tuxguitar.
But ofcourse there are a lot of things what will be implemented for the second.

Anonymous

I agree with jfoo: the "score" support is already quite cool guys, you are doing an amazing job.

If you miss so little to make it work perfectly I think you should go for it! Think what it could become if this was good for both downloading a tab and writing your own score to have it printed, or sent via e-mail to a friend or to your composition teacher!!
Having both tab/score ways to write music could make this so much better then any scoring software for any "picked string" musician.

I really hope it can become an all-in-one software for the guitar musician, because as I see it it is already a quite outstanding product and on its way for that.

Gotfryd

Personally I think it should be fixed quickly. I understand that you can't do everything, but this issue can cause major confusion among musicians who use scores. If I were you, I'd treat this as a bug, not as a missing feature.

Nevertheless, Tuxguitar is a nice program :)
I especially like its ability to export to LilyPond format.

mrjive

I quote too: "Personally I think it should be fixed quickly."
It is a feature I miss a lot!

Thanks for the great job so far!

Anonymous

still no fix two years later.

bob

make that 3

b4dc0d3r

As a musician, I think it's a nice feature to have, but as a programmer it's an annoying problem to solve. I much prefer exporting to something else with better printing, which is why I'm working on the lilypond plugin right now. Yes it's an annoying extra step, but the output is so much better.

b4dc0d3r

This seems to be fixed in the source code, TsVaH posted an updated JAR file with that and another enhancement. (Warning: I don't think plugins work, at least not for me). If someone could confirm this is fixed in the new code I'd be happy. If not, a sample tab that shows the problem would be appreciated.

http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/forum/5/1561/changing-time-signature-for-single-measure/

And yes, I'm trying to figure out why the plugins aren't working, if they work for you so much the better.