Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject Trouble with Tux Guitar

BlackJack

Hey. I just ran 'sudo aptitude install sun-java5-jre libswt3.2-gtk-jni libswt3.2-gtk-java' in the terminal on Ubuntu (dapper, 6.06). After downloading it I installed the 'Ubuntu Binary Package' from your downloads section on your website and it installed beutifully. My problem now is when I run 'tuxguitar' in the terminal I'm greeted with a splash screen and then the error...

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.eclipse.swt.graphics.GC.getDevice()Lorg/eclipse/swt/graphics/Device;
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.editors.TGPainter.initPath(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.editors.tab.TGResources.getImage(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.editors.tab.TGResources.getScoreNoteImage(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.editors.tab.TGResources.initImages(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.editors.tab.TGResources.load(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.editors.tab.layout.ViewLayout.reloadStyles(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.editors.tab.Tablature.reloadStyles(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.editors.tab.Tablature.setViewLayout(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.editors.tab.Tablature.reloadViewLayout(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.editors.TablatureEditor.showTablature(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.TuxGuitar.createComposites(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.TuxGuitar.displayGUI(Unknown Source)
at org.herac.tuxguitar.gui.TGMain.main(Unknown Source)

Is this a known bug with TuxGuitar or is there something wrong with my setup?

Thanks,
BlackJack

Julian

mmm, are you sure all was successfully installed ???

> sudo aptitude install sun-java5-jre libswt3.2-gtk-jni libswt3.2-gtk-java
SWT 3.2 libraries aren't available at Dapper repositories. so that line shouldn't work if you have Dapper (with original sources.list )

> it I installed the 'Ubuntu Binary Package'
That package also depends on "libitext-java", what isn't available at dapper too.

> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.eclipse.swt.graphics.GC.getDevice()Lorg/eclipse
I'm sure you don't have SWT installed..
does the file "/usr/lib/java/swt.ar" exists on your system?

I suggest you download the package called "GNU/Linux-x86 Binary Files". you need only uncrompress it, and exec the script file called "tuxguitar".

BlackJack

Thanks for the advice Julian! I'm not sure but I may have missed an error message (if there was one) while running 'sudo aptitude install sun-java5-jre libswt3.2-gtk-jni libswt3.2-gtk-java.' Also, I noticed that 'libitext-java' was a dependency for for TuxGuitar so I downloaded and installed it from debians website.

Also I do have '/usr/lib/java/swt.jar'...

bkjk@Spades:/usr/lib/java$ ls
swt3.1-gtk.jar swt-gtk.jar swt.jar

though it looks like I have 3.1 instead of 3.2.

I am currently downloading the 'GNU/Linux-x86 Binary Files' and I will get back with you when I'm finished (heh, slow dial-up).

Thanks for the help,
BlackJack

BlackJack

Hey! I just downloaded the package you recommneded to me and ran './tuxguitar' and it runs fine. It looks really nice too! Thanks for all of the hard work on TuxGuitar!!!

Thanks for all of the help!!!
BlackJack