Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject MIDI Export Problems

ISDAMan

When exporting to MIDI, it's kind of a shot in the dark if the file will work. It fails for me more times than not. Also, there's no visual method of knowing what the program is doing or when it is done making a MIDI. Nevertheless, I love this program. Keep up the great work.

Julian

> It fails for me more times than not
What error is showing ?

ISDAMan

It does not give an error at all. I've waited ten minutes to several hours. Even when it works, there's no notice.

Julian

> there's no notice.
It's supposed, you export a midi file.
and the file is created on your file system ( where you selected ).

So i asume your problem is that file "isn't" created ??

Please let me know:
What TuxGuitar version do you have installed ??
Under what Operating System are you running tuxguitar ?
What java version do you have installed ?

ISDAMan

The file will always show up. However, I was wrong about the error message. TG does not give me one but WMP, and the system in general, states that the file is in use when I try to activate or delete it. I have to close TG to delete it. Again, I can be waiting minutes or hours.

I have TG 1.0-rc3, XP SP2, JRE1.6.0_03

ISDAMan

As I was answering last time, I thought about something. So, I went into my recycle bin and pulled out one of the not working files. With TG closed, it works. So, it seems that the problem is that TG does not release the file for some reason and the work around is to simply close TG.

ISDAMan

Ok, so , now that that's done, another problem I thought I had fixed with a system restore just came back. Now that I've closed that MIDI, TG is the only audio program I have that will not make any sound at all. Everything functions like normal except TG's sound. The last time this happened, I tested it and tried exporting a MIDI of a different song. It did it but it changed all of the track instruments. I ended up using a system restore because a re-start and a re-install both failed. I'm about to try all of these as needed again.

ISDAMan

It came down to the system restore. TG worked again. So, I played that problem MIDI again. TG was instantly no longer producing sound. So, I'm off to delete that MIDI and fix the problem again.

Johnny

So somehow it seems to me that TuxGuitar is not releasing your system resources. File is not closed, so it needs TG restart, and after TG is closed somehow your MIDI resources stay occupied.
What synthesizer do you use for sound? Java sound or Windows system synthesizer (Tools/Settings/Sound)?

System restore is something I am very sceptical about in Windows, I think you shouldn't use it that often. :) Did you try simple Windows restart?

I guess this has something to do with your Windows and Java instalation, it's probably corrupted and not working properly.

ISDAMan

The program came set on Microsoft MIDI Mapper. I have not changed it.

The simple restart does not work at all. Also, when this problem occurs, it affects TG only leaving all other audio programs functioning properly. It's 100% triggered when I play a seemingly occupied MIDI after closing TG. The problem has occurred before and after a Java update.

I'll try changing the MIDI Sequencer and Port settings.

Julian

> the file is in use when I try to activate or delete it. I have to close TG to delete it
Ok, i saw that. i fixed it on CVS version now
Thanks for report.

> TG only leaving all other audio programs functioning properly
Note that MIDI and "audio" are different things.
Try play any exported MIDI file on windows media player ( or with other midi player ).. does it works ?

> I'll try changing the MIDI Sequencer and Port settings.
Try only the MIDI Port. ( Sequencer isn't who play the sounds )
Please, let me know what MIDI Ports do you have available.

ISDAMan

I have 2 MIDI's created by TG that cause no problems at all. I also downloaded a MIDI via Limewire that causes the same problem.

I have Microsoft MIDI Mapper, Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, Java Sound Synthesizer (TG downloaded a library for me). They all react the same way and have not produced a working MIDI though the JSS sounds considerably different when playing in TG.

I have also noticed that, regardless of the Port, the malfunctioning MIDI produced varies in size(63.0KB, 44.8KB, 32.7KB, 18.8KB, 10.8KB, 2.86KB, 0b ...).

Thanks for your efforts.

ISDAMan

Here's what I've had some success with. If I play the song in TG, just after I start the export MIDI feature, my chances of getting a working MIDI improve a bit.