Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject tuxguitar does not start ubuntu 8.04

giovanni

Hello.

I have just installed tuxguitar on the brand new Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

With pleasant surprise I found it in the add/remove list!

But, now that I have installed it, when I click on the icon (from the audio-video menu) nothing happens. Simply nothing. What could the reason be?

JoyFM

what does happen if you start it inside a terminal (Alt+f2 there enter xterm and there tuxguitar)

you can mark it with the mouse and paste it with the middle mouse button into this forum

giovanni

Thank you I just solved the problem I had to install java!!

Sorry guys :)

and congratulation to the team for this achievement!

Julian

giovanni, as i know, ubuntu hardy included tuxgutiar 0.9.1.( 1 year older version )

By other hand, if you needed to install java. i suggest you report it as bug to ubuntu tuxguitar package.
because it should be a "dependency" of tuxguitar.

JoyFM

Maybe becouse java is in that restricted repostitory it doesn't get installed by default?
becouse it depend on java : http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/tuxguitar

Julian

it depends on java, you are right.
but, as i see, tuxguitar is on "multiverse" repository ( same as "sun-java6-jre" ). so if he could install tuxguitar, he had multiverse enabled..
Maybe the problem was configure java ( update-alternatives --config java ) instead of install it.

giovanni

I dont know guys I installed java and ten it worked. i installed tux from the add/remove list and java from synaptic. i didnt do anything else. i am a real newbie.

But i noticed that tux gui was different from before bt i thought it was because it was newer version now u tell me it is older!! in fact i tried a gp.5 and it doesnt read it! what should i do?

i dont know how to report bugs but i would do it with pleasure if u explain me how.

Julian

0.9.1, don't have support for GP5 (v5.10) files.
So that isn't a bug.. it just not supported on that version.

By other hand.. ubuntu ( or any other distribution ) package mantainers, only fix "package" bugs. ( dependencies, run scripts, etc ).
but not tuxguitar-0.9.1 known bugs.

> what should i do?
You are a free man.
you can choice to install latest version. or keep older.
but ofcourse, with "older" version you will not able to see new features/bug fixeds.

giovanni

ok i was asking for a suggestion :)

if i keep the older version will it ever upgrde to the newer one?

Julian

mmm wait.
We are not "ubuntu" developers. so we don't take desitions about ubuntu repository/packages

We are only tuxguitar developers, and "somebody" ( we didn't ) was who added tuxguitar-0.9.1 to ubuntu repository

What i mean is, we can't know if/when/how/why ubuntu will upgrade the tuxguitar package.

You should ask this questions to ubuntu developers:
# Web site
http://www.ubuntu.com/

# TuxGuitar ubuntu package
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/tuxguitar

giovanni

thank you very much

I will ask the italian comunity if there is something we can do on the bar of ubuntu-it.org

tatojo

I downloaded and installed TuxGuitar-1.0-rc3 instead ubuntu's dist. Works fine!

mwnuk

Hi, I had absolutely same situation with Ubuntu 8.04 today :)
No java automatic installation. Fortunately there is this site and I understood what's wrong, thanks :)

Mr_Noob

Unfortunately the noob here doesnt know what java you are talking about, is it the "java-package" in the synaptic?

Many thanks

Mr_Noob

Hi all,

I tried installing the sun-java5-jre as described in the documentation: http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/tgwiki/doku.php?id=doc:install_ubuntu

Buuttt, it didnt work )c:
When i try to run it from the terminal, i get the following:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)

Any clues?

Julian

Hi, if you are runnig tuxguitar from ubuntu repositories,
please paste here the content of /usr/bin/tuxguitar (open it with any text editor), so that will be the only way to know how that package was builded.

By other hand, try to exec on a terminal:
sudo update-alternatives --config java

And select the java 1.5 from sun.

Mr_Noob

Hi,

If i download the sun-java6-jre in instead of the 5 it works fine... it'd be good if you guys could update the documentation

Anyway, GREAT application!

Johnny

Where did you read that it doesn't work on Java6?
Java5 is recommended, Java6 is only newer/better.

Julian

Mr_Noob, you followed instructions to install tuxguitar dependencies here, but you downloaded tuxguitar from another place.
"java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError" means you are running a java application with a "lesser" java version than used to build it.
while all files available to download here, was builded with 1.4 class target. so, there is nothing wrong in java version at documentation.

DayWalker

Hi please help I tried everything from above and still the tuxguitar doesn't start

Julian

DayWalker,

> I tried everything from above
What exactly things did you try

What tuxguitar version did you installed ???
and where did you get it ?

franko

The reason why the Ubuntu Hardy package doesn't install jre automatically is because Ubuntu Hardy uses the GNU JRE (gcj) by default, because it conforms better with the Ubuntu philosophy. But the fact that the package doesn't work with gcj by default is very weird...

Maybe it would be enough to edit a little bit the executive script. But I don't know what should I change there. I tried to put the path I use with OpenOffice, instead of JAVA_HOME, but then I get a permission issue, permission denied. I tried to run tuxguitar with sudo, but I get the same message again, and the app still doesn't run...

Now I unistalled that package and will try to download from here.

franko

OK, I installed from the ubuntu package available from this website. Now it runs, but it says it cannot load java sound api... :-/
Wouldn't timidity (alsa) be better than java for midi playback in GNU/Linux? But I must confess I am not very familiar with java...

Julian

Hi,
> it cannot load java sound api
As you told on your previous post, the problem maybe GCJ (it don't implements javax.sound package at all)

But yes, you can play sounds throught alsa.
TuxGuitar-jsa (java sound api) and TuxGuitar-alsa are only plugins.
If you don't want to see the java sound api error anymore you can go to Tools -> Plugins and disable the plugin.

If you want to play sounds with timidity, so go to Tools -> Settings, and on Sound option make sure "Timidity Port 128:0" is selected on MIDI Port option.

franko

That's exactly what I did, and now it works just as it should. :-) Thank you very much!

It is weird to have a plugin that doesn't work set as default, though... Maybe the Ubuntu package should be compiled to work with alsa by default?

Anyway, the "problem" is very easily solvable. So, it's good enough for me. The application itself seems to work just fine.

Thank you a lot for developing such an application!

Julian

> Maybe the Ubuntu package should be compiled to work with alsa by default?
Well it works with alsa as default ( just see that Alsa plugin was installed by default)

But we can't set a "timidity" port as default because not everybody have timidity installed.