Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject Some lilypond export glitches

Telemaster

Hi Tuxguitarreros,

as you might have read in my other postings, I am using tuxguitar export to lilypond a lot. I know a seamless export is not (yet?) in scope, but I found some glitches that might be easy to fix - if I had better Java mojo, I could try to do it by myself (but I am a little lost in the code).

First: Slurs on the end of a bar spanning to the next bar are not exported. This should be not too hard to fix, right?

Second: The repeat volta and alternatives are not correct, lilypond wants it that way:

repeat volta n {
... here goes the repeated stuff...
}
alternative {
{ .. first ending .. }
{ .. last ending .. }
}
... more music ...

but in tuxguitar, I get

repeat volta 2 {
... here goes the repeated stuff...
first ending (!)
}
alternative {
{ .. second ending .. }
}
... more stuff ...

which should also be fixable without Ph. D. in rocket science...

I am just trying to help as a passionate and enthusiastic beta tester. Tuxguitar is absolutely brilliant, and maybe my tips help to even improve it :-)

Is it easier for you to examine, or shall I dive into the Java code (being a bleeding newbie to Java)? I really would like to help to make tuxguitar even better, and not break it ;-) !

Greets from Europe, keep it up!

The Telemaster

Julian

Hi, i this was already reported some weeks ago ( wasn't your post ? )
alternative repeats (like a lot of other things), are just not implemented now on lilypond exporter( but we will implement more things)

What we are trying now, is to make a stable release ( that's why the release candidates ) to finish with 1.0 (only fix bugs). and then, when 1.0 is ready, we will start to adding the new features of 2.0..

By other hand..
is there any way to say lilypond, the alternative repeat numbers ?
i mean:

epeat volta 4 { ..... }
alternative {
{ here the endings 1,3 (without 2) }
{ here the endings 2,4 }
}

Telemaster

Hello Julian,

Sorry, now I found the "other" post. I missed it the other day. But maybe I can provide a little bit of help, anyway.

Sure there is a means in lilypond for the alternative repeats:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond-big-page#index-g_t_005calternative-551

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/43ya9l

- basically, you have the repeat part, followed by an alternative part which consists of more than one section, e. g.

repeat volta 6 {
.. stuff ..
}
alternative {
{ stuff for 1 .. 4 }
{ stuff for 5 }
{ stuff for 6 }
} % end of alternative

lilypond takes the last alternative as the last repeat, and then takes the last but one, places it before, until there is only one left. If the number of repeats is smaller than the number of alternatives, the last remainig alternative (in the first alternative bracket) is marked for the first repeat until the ones alread found. So, if you have 6 repeats and three alternative, the first alternative bracket will be marked for 1..4, than Alternative 5. and Alternative 6.

You find it much better explained in the lilypond documentation.

Any idea about the slur at the end of bars (my first point in original post)? My low Java guru factor prevents me from seeing where this occurs...

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Keep on rocking,

The Telemaster

Telemaster

Hi again,

yikes, the Backslashes have gone in the posting above - please add them in front of
epeat (does this work now?) and alternative.

Cheers,

The Telemaster

Julian

Sorry.. i forgot about "slurs"..
but.. you mean "tieds" i think ?
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond-big-page#Ties-and-slurs
TuxGuitar don't use slurs.. so don't export them.. but yes use "tied" notes, and export them to lilypond, and as you say.. it only is working on current measure.
i'll add to the TODO list.

About alternatives,
>> { stuff for 1 .. 4 }
Yes i know how to do it..
but that represents endings: 1, 2, 3 and 4
what tuxguitar needs is, add things like: 1, 2, 4 ( without third engind )

> Let me know if I can be of any help.
If you get the SVN version ( we are not using CVS anymore )
you can help testing the new lilypond fixeds

Any other help.. if for some things on the page/layout..
i don't have idea how ( if it's possible ) tell lilypond, auto adjust some things:
1_ the page indent to the track name.
some times, the track name is too big.. and lilypond keep using same page indentation.. so the track name keeps out of the page ranges.

2_ the tempo (metronomeMark) isn't autoadjusting like another markup. ( text or fret-diagram )
so i can set a "static" padding, but if i put any markup on same beat.. lylipond paint the tempo over the markup.

You'll understand better what i mean with SVN version.

Thanks for your help

Telemaster

Hi Julian,

thank you for the quick reaction - and please excuse that I am not as good at it, as I have to do weektime traveling at the moment for a project.

First point: You are right, I mistook ties for slurs - still, the ties at the end of a bar are not exported (easily to add manually, but maybe also easy to add in TuxGuitar?). No big deal here, just a remark.

For the second topic, there is a way to add "manual repeat counts" (6.4.7 in the lilypond documentation), maybe this better matches our needs?

Anyway, all of this is not impeding the fun using TuxGuitar at all.

Maybe I can be of help if you would like to fix this, let me know, if and how I may help besides donating - every serious fan of TuxGuitar like me should do at least that :-)

Keep it up!

The Telemaster

Telemaster

Hi folks,

just after posting, I discovered the rc 4 - This is unbelievable! All my initial dreams and wishes about lilypond export became reality, I am deeply impressed. This is brilliant, awesome, supercosmically fantastic!

Ultimate praise from me, you made a fantastic job! I was a TuxGuitar addict right after installing 0.9, but now I am a TuxGuitar Junkie for life. Whatever may come up next, I will love it :-)

Hope you get enough support to continue your fantastic work, I will lobby everyone to support TuxGuitar and your great work. The greatest gutarist's tool since the invention of the plektrum (feel free to qoute me :-) )

Cheers,

The Telemaster