Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject LilyPond export: Every new line starts with a clef

Jasmin Bajric

Hello experts!
First of all thanks for the LilyPond export: That combines two wonderful worlds to a new galaxy - TuxGuitar & automated engraving, gorgeus!
Right now is discoverd a problem which might be related to the LilyPond export. If I compare the PDF-Export of TuxGuitar and the PDF coming from LilyPond (from the very same song, of course!), I see that the LilyPond PDF starts every new line with a clef (or 'TAB' in the tablature). The PDF outoput of TuxGuitar on the other hand, draws only at the beginning (in the first line) a clef resp. 'TAB'.
Unfortunatelly I am not experienced enough to fix it in the ly-file -- but if it is a bug, fixing it in TuxGuitar would be help in general.

May be my description is a bit quriky -- looking at the two PDFs would clear what I mean -- but I do not see any chance to uplaod the PDFs to this forum. May be it would be a good idea to establish an uploading area?

Guys, thanks a lot for this great program -- and perhaps you can check about the clef problem?

Best Regards
Jasmin

Julian

Hi,
You are a little confussed ( i think )..
Lilypond is a musical language compiler ( i don't know the exactly definition )...
tuxguitar don't say lilypond "add clef on all lines" or not..
tuxguitar just export all "notes" on a text file ( .ly )..
and lilypond, generate his own score.

What i mean is, tuxgutiar "don't" render lilypond files.. it's lilypond who do that.

PDF exporter try to generate a PDF (with itext library) of what tuxguitar render on the screen (using the printer layout, but with other page sizes and DPI )

while lilypond Exporter, just export the notes, tempo, keysignatures, etc.. on a text/plain file.
then with lilypond you can convert that file on a nicely PDF.

Clef on all lines: that is "perfectly" valid on the music notation. so that isn't a lilypond bug.( and maybe tuxguitar should do that too )
By other hand.. talking a look to lilypond documentation, i'm sure there is a easy way to hide that clefs if you want.

> but I do not see any chance to uplaod the PDF
There isn't.. but i understood what you mean... so it's not needed.

Jasmin

Hi Julian,
indeed, may bee I am a bit confused -- but not in that way you assumes:

> Lilypond is a musical language compiler

Nothing new, so far.

> tuxguitar don't say lilypond "add clef on all lines" or not

Well, here I think you make the first mistake: TuxGuitar "says" LilyPond to set anything, by generating a *.ly file. Whatever Lilypond generates later, it is stated in the *.ly file! The *.ly file is the input file for the LilyPond compiler.

>What i mean is, tuxgutiar "don't" render lilypond files.. it's lilypond who do that.

I never sayed, that TuxGuitar renders a LiliyPond file. Instead, I sayed "I compare the PDF-Export of TuxGuitar with the PDF-Export of LilyPond"! I do not understand, how you could read that: TuxGuitar is rendering the LilyPond file??? Where should be the benefit of this procedure?

>while lilypond Exporter, just export the notes, tempo, keysignatures, etc.. on a text/plain file.

Here we are at the right point: In the case TuxGuitar sets one of the commands like "TrackAStaff = new Staff {" in the wrong line, or places the "{" on a wrong place, you will get completly different results! So, it is not so easy, just to say "while lilypond Exporter, just export the notes, tempo, keysignatures, etc.. on a text/plain file." -- there is much more to do, then "just" to export the notes in that way, that LilyPond accepts.

>Clef on all lines: that is "perfectly" valid on the music notation.

I am sorry, but this makes no sense! I never stated, that "clefs on lines" are the problem! I said, that within a song, every NEW LINE starts with a clef -- and this, Julian, makes no sense -- not WITHIN a song.

>talking a look to lilypond documentation

Thanks for the recommendation -- but how could I fix an (assumed, so far) error in the TuxGuitar export by reading the LiliyPond documentation?

To sum up, I think you missed the point -- but obviously due to my bad description. On the other hand, I do not see how I could explain in a better way...

Sorry for missunderstanding
Regards, Jasmin

Julian

mmm.. wait..
first.. take it easy.. my english is not good.
i didn't want be "hard" with "you are confused".. it's just i don't know the english word for say what i mean..

> Well, here I think you make the first mistake: TuxGuitar "says" LilyPond to set anything
TuxGuitar says it to lilypond ONLY when there is a "clef" change..
but definitly "not" at all new lines.
i did the exporter (with some help).. i can confirm you that.

> not WITHIN a song.
Ok now, i don't know if i understood..
is this what you talk about? :
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/input/mutopia/E.Satie/petite-ouverture-a-danser-page1.png

Jasmin

Hello Julian,

>is this what you talk about? :
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/input/mutopia/E.Satie/petite-ouverture-a-danser-page1.png

Hmmm... now I am really confused, but: Yes, this is exactly what I mean. But it seems that I am wrong! I could bet, that I have seen so much music sheets, and I am so sure, that a clef is only at the beginning of a piece. But now -- I think you have convinced me. I have checked all other LilyPond screenshots -- and it seems that you are right: "perfectly" valid on music notation!

Do not know how this could happen -- but it did. It was my fault, and TuxGuitar, LilyPond and you are right -- and I have learned something new!

(I just checked some music books -- all the same, at each new line a clef... :-(

Thanks for your time and sorry for all the confusion.
(A good idea with the Lilypond png file!)

Regards
Jasmin

Jasmin

Hello again,

please check the screenshot on TuxGuitar-Homepage:
http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/screenshots.html
Second screenshot, second line: "Right here waiting".

Only one clef at the begining. In the second line, 5th bar, no clef at all. In the third line, 9th bar, no clef...

How to understand this??!
Who is right: TuxGuitar or LilyPond?!

Regards
Jasmin

Julian

That screenshot is from "print preview".. it is rendered by tuxguitar ( with the printer layout ) as the PDF exporter.

> Who is right: TuxGuitar or LilyPond?!
Lilypond is "more" a musical thing.. while tuxguitar is a "guitar tablature" based application..
tuxguitar score VS lilypond score.. lilypond is ofcourse the winner.....

I'm not sure if is "obligatory" add "clef" on all lines..
if is true.. so tuxguitar is wrong..
if it isn't.. so they are 2 different applications..

Johnny

Jasmine, zaista nema potrebe da dizes toliku prasinu.

Kljuc na pocetku svakog reda je prilicno korisna stvar, pogotovo za klaviriste (posto imas violinski i bas kljuc uporedo) i to je ono "kako bi trebalo". TuxGuitar iscrtava na ovaj nacin jer je jednostavno tako lakse nama programerima, a nije (previse) pogresno. Ne vidim razlog zasto bi se neko bunio zbog toga.

pozdrav
Nikola

Anonymous

Zdravo!
Fala -- meduvremeno ja sam razumijo.

Pozdrav
Jasmin