Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject Change the bin to use aoss

Kreuger

Hey guys I noticed whenever I run tuxguitar from the menu I can't get sound and have to use the terminal; aoss tuxguitar which is a pain. For some reason XFCE wont let me edit the menu so I was wondering could I edit the bin in /usr/bin to automatically load the aoss with it?

Julian

Hi,
/usr/bin/tuxguitar is a shell script.. so yes you can open it with mousepad (as root) and add aoss line.
By the way, you can also try installing timidity..
it have better sounds, and you'll not have the oss problem.

Kreuger

Thanks. I don't quite find the sound better but I'll use it anyway

Kreuger

Well I had to remove java (which removed Tuxguitar) because I was having problems with it. When I reinstalled both, TG lost sound. It only works now via the aoss method.

Julian

if you run timidity, "aoss" isn't needed, because timidity already have "alsa" output.
alsa-oss is an alsa wrapper for OSS ( used by java sound api ).
the OSS problems.. is it ussually can't play sounds if there is another application using the sound device ( not only an audio application, a messenger also use sounds ).

> I don't quite find the sound better
but did you "select" a timidity port on tuxguitar ?

Kreuger

Yeah I know that, I ran it without the aoss and yes I picked Timidity. It does sound more realistic but has bad distortion to it. I've only ever had the error about another application using it once.

Julian

> It does sound more realistic but has bad distortion to it
Timidity is a software synthesizer.. but it don't have his "own" sounds.. you can configure it to use another soundfont.. (as default on allmost distributions, it cames with "freepats" )

another option is "fluidsytnh", another software synthesizer.
but it isn't distributed with a default soundfont.. so you'll need to download one.

Kreuger

I have no idea what you mean by sound font.

Julian

A Synthesizer, is a software (or hardware) program what play sounds.
but allmost times that sounds, are not generated by the synth.
they are existent sounds, and the synth only play them.
see it as an audio file.
when synth needs play a "guitar" note, it just play an audio file for that instrument.
a "soundfont" is font of sounds used by the synth (i don't know the exactly definition) to play that sounds.
so, if you change that soundfont, the you'll listen other sounds with the same synthesizer.

as example.. if you have fuildsynth, you can exec this as:
fluidsynth [soundfont_file]

then you select the fluidsynth port on any MIDI application, and you listen the sounds.

but if you exec:
fluidsynth [my_new_soundfont_file]

you'll get different sounds.

maybe here you'll found a better concept of it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundFont