Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject Some instruments mute; can't connect to Jack

samuraiCat

Hi! I absolutely love Tuxguitar. I hate to ask a newbie question, but I'm having a couple of issues: First, when I choose some of the instruments, I don't get any sound. Second, I cannot seem to get it to work with Jack running unless I have it hooked up to ZynAddSubFX, and then it won't use Tuxguitar's samples (which are superior).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

samuraiCat

Hmm...maybe I'm missing soundfonts? Is that possible?

Johnny

Only ZynAddSubFX? Did you try Timidity, Fluidsynth...?
Anyway, http://tuxguitar.com.ar/tgwiki/doku.php?id=doc:tuxguitar_sound

Anonymous

Johnny: Thanks for the reply Tuxguitar does, in fact, work when Timidity is running, but when Jack is running at the same time, I cannot get any sound without ZynAddSubFx running. Fluidsynth throws all kinds of errors in the terminal and won't even load.

Ah, so you think that the reason I don't hear the contrabass, etc. is because I don't have the soundbank loaded? Why would it show up on the list of instruments, then?

Thanks a lot!

samuraiCat

Ah, I don't have TuxGuitar-ALSA in my plugins list. There is an ALSA-related plugin, but it's not named TuxGuitar-ALSA.

In addition, if I don't have OSS (just ALSA and PulseAudio) do I really need TuxGuitar-OSS and TuxGuitar-CoreAudio?

Johnny

No, you need only Alsa plugin. CoreAudio would probably throw bunch of exceptions, but OSS might work.

I think you have general problems with Jack... Try changing settings, switch to Alsa or OSS (although I read that OSS support is still experimental).

About your lack of instruments, it is surely connected with your soundfont. Try downloading a bigger one (from www.sf2midi.com, I wrote something about it on this forum).

I didn't test TuxGuitar with ZynAddSubFx, so I cannot help you on that.

samuraiCat

Thanks, I'll give all your suggestions a try later tonight.

By the way, Tuxguitar works well with ZynAddSubFx if you want to use its samples and add effects prior to mixing (which is generally not a good idea). You basically get all of the nuance and control of Tuxguitar with ZynAddSubFx's samples and effect.

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back with more irritating questions. I may never have to start a band again!