Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject Missing Capo

Gareth

Before I discuss my problem I would like to thank you for creating this program. It has great potential.

I'm using tux on a mac and am experiencing problems with guitar pro and powertab files. Although the files open, they do not display the appropriate capo requirements. For example, this file - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/i/iron_and_wine/sunset_soon_forgotten_guitar_pro.htm - includes a capo on fret 2 when opened through guitar pro. However, when opened through tux, there is no capo information.

This also occurs with powertab files. This tab - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/mark_knopfler/hill_farmers_blues_power_tab.htm - features a capo on fret 7, but when opened with tux this isn't listed.

Is there a setting that I am missing?

I appreciate any help that you can offer.

Best wishes,
Gareth

Julian

Hi,
tuxguitar don't support capo. but it support's something very similar called "offset" on track tuning
If you open the first link with tuxguitar, you'll see offset = 2 on track tuning ( See it at Track -> Properties )

On .ptb file, it isn't load.
Right now, i'm not sure if there was a "why", or if it just is a missing feature.

On the other hand, you must understand that tuxguitar is not guitar pro, nor power tab, and it's not planned to be.
I mean, if guitar pro show any feature at X place, that don't means tuxguitar must show same thing at same place.
Not all guitar pro features are available on tuxguitar, as not all tuxguitar features are available on guitar pro.

So tuxguitar don't supports "capo"
but have the "offset" what is something abstract. allowing you to listen the track some tones up or down (not that capo may never be lesser than zero)
It is ussefull, when you are adding a track what is tuned 1 semitone down, but you may want keep standard tuning strings.

Gareth

Hi Julian

Thank you for the swift reply and the detailed explanation. I've found the offset feature you mentioned.

I can see that I have a lot to learn about this feature-rich program.

Thanks again for the support.