Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject Volume increasing/decreasing when looping

Pietro Cerutti

Hello,

I found a strange behavior... I have two bars, which I want to play in loop. I open the "player" dialog, click the "play mode" button and select "Simple mode", "Play looped" with a tempo percentage of 100%.

It happens that the volume changes at each loop. Sometime it increases for a couple of loops, then it decreases back to the original volume, and stay stable for a couple of loops, then starts to increase again...

Could you please check?

Thanks!

Julian

Hi,
what "MIDI Sequencer" do you have selected ?
(see on Tools -> Settings : Sound )

Does it happen with "TuxGuitar Sequencer" ?

Pietro Cerutti

Yes, it happens with TuxGuitar Sequencer. It doesn't seem to happen with Real Time Sequencer.

Julian

On MIDI Port you have "Java Sound Synthesizer" true ?
I could reproduce the problem with it.
The problem itself is at this synthesizer, it is failing when MIDI Event "allNotesOff" is called by "Sequencer".
It seems that event works, but is not inmediatly. so when you repeat the song sequencer call it, and start all again
and it fails.
It don't happen to me with any other MIDI Port.

Anonymous

Right, I use the Java Sound Synthesizer.

I can't test with any other midi ports, basically because I don't have any other...

Nice to hear that you could identify the bug :)

Thanks for your support!

Julian

Yes i could identify the bug, but the problem is that "Java Sound Synthesizer" is closed, and i can't fix it.
There are a lot of bugs on this synth i know since jre1.4 that was never fixed. (and it seems never will be).
This is one of all the reasons i deceide to base tuxguitar sound in plugins instead of use Java Sound Api at all.
Now for OpenJDK the project "Gervill" is a replacement for the closed synth. it have very interresting features, but as it is written in pure java (no native libraries in background) it need a newest hardware to works right.

You maybe can try install Timidity and select it with Alsa plugin. you'll get nicer sounds and lesser bugs than java synth have.

Anonymous

heh, it's FreeBSD here, no ALSA :-/

Thanks, cu!

Julian

mm i see.
there is an OSS plugin ( i'm not sure if someone tested it on FreeBSD before )
And there is also a fluidsynth plugin available that should work on FreeBSD (if fluidsynth is available for it).
but you'll need to build them because there are not binary files for FreeBSD.

If you are running tuxguitar with OpenJDK, or Sun java 6 gervill must work without problems too.

Anonymous

Thanks!

I'll do a test and let you know the results, probably via IM, cause we're getting OT here :)

Julian

mmm, "Pietro Cerutti", i forgot your name :)
ejejej i'm an idiot! now i see who are you.

If you could build "tuxguitar-fluidsynth" plugin
you can go to Tools -> Plugins and select plugin
and click on "Configure"
then you can add soundfonts (.sf2 files)

Here you have one soundfont available to download:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/8MBGMSFX.SF2

after add it to plugin configuration, you should be able to select it as MIDI Port on Tools -> Settings : Sound

Anonymous

Works fine with fluydsynth and TuxGuitar's sequencer :)

Thanks a lot!