Tux Guitar

Problems

Subject MIDI import in linux generates impossible tabs

Person

Hi. I have been using tuxguitar for a little while now, and am amazed. But I recently reinstalled it and now whenever I import an midi, the tab it creates, when multiple notes are involved, look something like this:

--2--8--
--19-25-
--------
--------
--------
--------

Where the strech is impossible to make.

I then tried to reinstall it, but it did the same thing. I used it previously and it worked fine, so I am not sure what the problem is. Thanks in advance.

Auria

While i'm not a tuxguitar developer, i'm pretty sure i know the answer...

midi files do not contain guitar-specific information, like on what string and what fret to play each note. so when you open a midi file, tuxguitar has to guess on what string each note much be played. And as you might know, computers are not very good at guessing what humans would like ;) so, while it's probably possible to make it a bit better than that, no software will probably ever be able to make a tab as good as a human can

Person

Thank you for the reply.

Actually, the output has always been quite dependable, if not the most efficient. The only problem I have had until now with importing midis was the tuning of the guitar being changed, and that was because the song was beyond the range of notes. Tuxguitar worked better than PowerTab for importing midis.

The problem I am having is for some reason Tuxguitar does not seem to be working as it once was, and has the cords spanning 10-20 frets. I am wondering if there is some sort of setting that can be changed to correct this problem, because I tried a fresh install and the problem (as well as the settings from the previous install) remained the same.

Julian

Person,
If MIDI importer is adding out of range notes, so it's a bug. i'll take a look to it.

However, as Auria says MIDI Format it's hard to understand as an human can. it was never a good friend of notation editors (i never saw a notation editor that show me a nice score from "recorded" MIDI files).
I think, guitar info is not a big problem for TG vs MIDI.
but "Beat positions" yes.
On a MIDI File that was recorded by an human, there is not an exactly metronome. and on a lot of notes is not easy to know exactly when start and when it end because the human play with feelings.
e.g something stupid is that somethimes the real score says that you have an 1/8 triplet note. but the notation editors show you a dotted 1/16 note. this is because on milliseconds, there is only a little difference beetween this 2 kind of durations. and if the human don't play it exactly, it's very hard to the application to know what duration should it be.

Why i told you this ??
it's just because i think MIDI format should be used as last option to "edit" a song. you can export it to then listen on an audio player.. but keep original sond on application file format is allways the best choice.
or if you download files from internet, tuxguitar reads better GP* file format than MIDI.. and there are a lot of GP* files available to download on the web.
ofcourse it's just a suggestion..