Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject I'm shocked there's no 'Let Ring'

Mark555

I'm a faithful Power Tab user, but due to the seemingly eternal halt in its development, I am looking for a new guitar application. I've been following TuxGuiar for quite a while, and I can't believe the 'Let Ring' option still isn't implemented. It's one of the most fundamental thing in guitar playback, and I don't understand why the developers have not incorporated it yet. I don't imagine it's that complicated. Using tied notes instead just isn't practical for me.

May I get some feedback as to when it will finally be implemented? It's the main thing stopping me from performing the switch from Power Tab, that and other features such as note selection, chord dictionary, automatic chord identification and naming, musical directions... But I'm willing to compromise these (although hardly so for note selection) in favor of having Let Ring in TuxGuitar.

Oh and you guys have done a fantastic job so far with the software, please keep going!

Anonymous

See this thread:
http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/forum/4/309/how-to-%22let-ring%22%3F/

Works for me.

me

its probably because in sheet music, like score, the longest note you can have is a whole note. if you are in 4/4 time, thats only four counts. you cant have like a double whole note because it would go into the next measure. the tab would support it, but the musical score would not.

atom

I'd vote for this feature too - I've got half a mind of implementing it and posting a patch.

If I can get the svn version to compile first, that is. I think I should write an email to Julian and see what he thinks about it.

Damian

Honestly i found it very unnerving that there was no Let Ring it truly is fundamental i use these programs more for Orchestration and Piano stuff so let ring needs to be there

TM27

I'm dissapointed as well. The only thing they need is something that sends a Control change #64 message to the midi and the sustain can be turned on and off. I believe using the Midi Sustain Control would be the best option for "let ring"
Also, if one was to make a tablature object that sends control-change midi messages, they could also include the timbre/harmonic changes as well (changes the sound of the instrument)

Ignatz

Hi Damian and TM27,

These is a let ring feature in Tuxguitar.

Please see this post:

http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/forum/3/2235/new-features-or-why-you-don%27t-use-tg/

The relevant discussion starts with Marco's post on 19th Sept 2011 and continues onto the post on 28th September 2011. Two features are discussed (tied notes and voices) which should provide what you are looking for.

Kind regards,

Ignatz