Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject Export to Powertab

Dan

Import from Powertab is phenomenal.

What's preventing saving to Powertab?

That way you could upload your tabs to the Powertab community, and have them stamped with "Created in TuxGuitar" in the performance notes etc.

Also, this would allow us to use Powertab's editing features for anything missing from Tux.

PowerTab

i also want that...
PowerTab is very light.
I could convert gp tabs and play them in my another old pentium computer.

shdaowayex

I think the one problem with that is the drum ordeal.

Power Tabs does not have drums, so if you had a drum track, that would fail miserably.

Also, I heard the .ptb files are horrid, meaning it'd take a while for them to figure it out.

I like the suggestion though.

Mjchael

But you could easily ignore the drums. You have to delete the drums, but the rest could be used very easy.

Powertab is easy to handle. More simply than the other programs. To exchange sources, further process, improve the print format, improve the midi-output it would be meaningful to import Powertab in such way, that you can work on the tabs and export the result to any other format.

Greeting from Germany
mjchael

Julian

No, it's no a percussion track problem...
as Mjchael says, it's very easy ignore it.

There isn't any problem to make the exporter.
but yes it's a harder than other exporters we did,
because how the PTB file format is structured.

This format is different from allmost notation editors formats (i'm not saying it's bad.. i just say that the software have different objetives )
it's more based on a layout presentation..
not sure how to explain it.. it saves some positions of the components, where each line is a "Section".
Often, a notation software manage these things different.
so you select a layout on the application, (as tuxguitar have horizontal and vertical, multitrack, etc.. ) and each user see the score as "he have configured" the application.
in PTB, these things are stored in the file. this is why i say it's like a presentation, all users will see same layout for a file.

So this means, that when we export to PTB, we have to create this layout in the exporter.
it's not only about export tracks, measures, notes, etc..
we have to analize the song, and calculate when each section could finish, and start a new one.

In other words, it will take a while to make a "nice" PTB exporter.