Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject Lilypond export template file

rogerm42

Hi All,

I would love if the lilypond export plugin used a template file (or allowed choosing between different templates) when generating it's output.

Right now I have my own "template." Every time I output a lilypond file from tuxguitar I open the resulting file and my "template" in a text editor and copy and paste between them to have lilypond give results that I like.

I use tuxguitar and lilypond to create sheets for my guitar students and my "template" includes the following features. I like to make the staff size quite a bit bigger, set the paper size to letter, dampen the beams and sometimes add in chords - just the letters, not diagrams. I think supporting templates like this would be quite powerful while taking some work off of the exporter.

rogerm42

Also, couldn't this be done in such a way that future (or previous) versions of lilypond could be supported by different templates rather than forcing all the changes to be done in the plugin.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who worked on tuxguitar and the lilypond exporter. It has become an invaluable tool for me!

Julian

I'm not sure if templates, but we have planned to add more config options to this plugin such as page layout

rogerm42

Don't get me wrong, I approve of more options!! I just don't think there will ever be enough options built into the lilypond exporter to satisfy me (I'd love to be proven wrong!) :-P

Personally, I would rather set up a template lilypond source file with the options the way I want them, than to be forced to remember exactly which checkboxes to check or uncheck so I get the result I want. I'd rather hand-edit lilypond source code, although I know many people disagree with me on that point.

Anyway, kudos to the developers who have worked hard to give what we have now!

Julian

Yes i undertand..
what i mean, was not really designed yet.
i was thinking on some textarea, where you could put
the lilypond soure for page. layout.. etc..
so the exporter could take it from this text area..

In other words it's like a template..
but it will be only for the options that the exporter don't manage.. you'll not able to modify the way on how track/measures/notes are printed out..

About these checkboxes.. and remember then.
well that's another issue.. the plugin "must remember" them.. so this is another feature to implement..

So what i think is..
1_ this option to fully write the page and layout code ( with a button to restore defaults )

2_ save last used settings, to then you don't have to modify options/layout again..

3_ this config could be setted also in Tools -> Plugins, so if you use the converter plugin to generate a lot of .ly files in a shot, you don't need to export a first file before to configure your default options.

rogerm42

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Julian. I think that would likely be a good set of features for me. It would save having to hand-edit every Lilypond file I export.

If those features were put in place, I might even be able to pry my Dad away from Tabrite on his Win98 box and convince him to use Tuxguitar and Lilypond! He always says that no other program formats the tab the way he likes it (meaning he's gotten WAY too used to the way Tabrite formats tab!!!).

Pady

I'm also a guitar teacher looking for an easier way to make great scores for my students. Tuxguitar really is a fantastic piece of software and a great tool. The only downside I have found after several days of usage, is the PDF and print quality. The built-in PDF export does not really make a normal PDF - instead it makes, what seems to be a picture of the score inside a PDF. The fonts look blurry and the layout is too space consuming.
The PDF function of the Mac print settings looks very ugly. The score is tiny and tilted and there's a white area around each and every tab number.

So from what I can tell, the Lilypond export is the only way to make a decent looking print-out. It took me several hours digging in the Lilypond documentation in order to customize the code so that it finally had some resemblance to what I had in mind.

- First I wanted to get rid of the Lilypond disclaimer at the bottom of the page.
- Then I wanted the font to be bigger.
- And finally I wanted more space between systems.

An option to include my logo would be cool as well, but I couldn't find anything like that.

Unfortunately, all hammer-on and pull-offs get lost with the export to Lilypond. Is that a bug in the export or does Lilypond not offer hammer-on and pull-off signs?

So, if you're open for suggestions, a way to customize the Lilypond export or alternatively offer a PDF export that produces good looking results would be the greatest update I can think of right now.

Thank you very much!

Pady

Anonymous

I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but just being able to print to "paper" instead of "a4" without fiddling with the .ly file would be great!

L