Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject Making the best even better

Linuxx

Hi Folks!

Almost one year ago I downloaded TuxGuitar. Only a few days ago I found the time to upgraded to the newest version and actually start working with it. TG – I must admit – is a FANTASTIC piece of software! Amongst others, I very much appreciate its simplicity, the clean and self explaining layout and the wide variety of useful functions. One that I've already been using and that I didn't expect to find at all, is the voice selector. I use TG for transcribing sheet music into tabs.

Perhaps you would also like to read what I think is missing or could be improved. If you don't want to know, well, just don't read on ;-)

Note tie:
It would be nice, if the ties could be implemented in a way, so that they optically extend from one note to the next and not just as a short arch of always the same length.

Second voice:
As far as I could see, it is not possible to start a second voice with a rest (for instance a quarter rest, followed by half a note in a three quarters timed piece).

Tabs:
It would be great to have something like a “tidy up” function for the tabs, that arrange the tabs in the best manner, not only compared to their predecessor notes but also in the context of the entire arrangement.

Measures:
The missing anacrusis and the last measure issue...

Preview / Print settings:
It would be handy if the settings for preview / printing would be saved in the current project. This would mean that for instance one wouldn't have to remove the tick for not having the chord diagrams displayed every time.

Fretboard / Scales:
An “on / off” switch next to the “scale” switch, for displaying the scales on the fretboard would be nice.

Note Preview:
A note preview in “score edition mode”, similar to that in MuseScore (http://www.musescore.org), would make life easier, as now and then it is a bit tricky to drop the note exactly where it should go.

Page Setup:
I believe this is very demanding... Yet It would be nice to see some of these things in a future release:
- The possibility to select how many measures are to be printed per row.
- Adjustable page boarders.
- Free positioning of titles etc. (as defined in “properties”) or alternatively some freely designable / editable header / footer space.
- An option to “export to *.png, *.bmp, *.jpg... [image]”, additional to *.pdf. This would allow using the music sheet in another application, like for example a text editor.

Again: I absolutely like TG and I will carry on using it! The above mentioned is what I personally think would be nice to have...

Linuxx

ycollet

And the drum notation ...

Linuxx

Is it possible that MusicXML doesn't recognize tied notes? Anyhow, those from within TG get lost when exporting and opening in another software...

And this in addition to page setup: Of course the rows, which consist of a previously defined number of measures should be stretchable to the page boarders. This function could look something like the various justification options in a text editor.

Linuxx

Linuxx

Any feedback...?

Linuxx

Julian

Hey,

>> Second voice:
>> As far as I could see, it is not possible to start a second voice with a rest

Did you tried with "Insert" key ?

Try this:
1_ start a new song
2_ select the second voice ( Ctrl + 2 )
3_ press "Insert" key.