Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject Fingering & Picking Notation

freakyfingers

One VERY useful feature that should be included in TuxGuitar is the ability to show the left-hand and even right-hand fingering with both the tab and the traditional score notation. By this I mean both numbers for the left hand, such as 1, 2, 3, 4, as well as the classical right hand symbols for the right hand p, i, m, a, & k (thumb, index, middle, ring, and pinky). I would think the first feature to include would be the left hand numbers. This is vital, especially when creating instruction lessons.

I prefer these numbers to appear in a line beneath the tab and/or the standard notation, though for some reason there may be those who would want them above. They should be in line /sync with the fret numbers on the tab or the notes above.

Additionally, another line directly above or below this left hand fingering line could be for the right hand picking or fingering. It should be able to handle either plectrum picking or fingerstyle, but notation for picking would again be primary since this is the most prominent method employed by most tab users.

For picking, there should be the standard up and down stroke symbols used in most magazines and transcriptions these days. The up and down arrows currently used are too long and distracting, and aren't really standard. The standard I am used to is an upside down v, or ^ (that is a caret, not really large enough) and a flat bottom U for downstroke.

This does not seem that hard to add. At minimum is needed the ability to define more text lines above and below the tab, wherever one chooses, and then people can enter standard text symbols, or you can go further and give them the choice of various picking symbols.

I have been using the lyrics editor to add ^ and v, which works ok, but I don't really want the bars and tails connecting it to the tab -- that's just not necessary, even for lyrics. It would be much better if picking notation was a part of the standard feature set.

But thanks for an awesome product! I wish I was a programmer -- I would try to make these changes myself an contribute, but alas my computer skills are not in this field!

Boris Paing

+1

Michel à PARIS

Yes, This is a serious gap.
I only use classical notation (not tab).
The fingering MUST BE AVALAIBLE
Left hand: 1 2 3 4
Right hand: p i m a - plectrum up & down
Strings: arabic number of the string surrounded with a circle
Fret : either B1, B2, 1/2 B1, 1/2 B2,.... or I, II, III, IV, 1/2 I, 1/2 II, 1/2 III......

Hopping.......

Geaplanet

+10

sam

+1

Sagar

+1

This is a really useful feature and it would be great to have it in Tuxguitar.