Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject Alternate staff notation (plugin?)

Eric M

I'm teaching myself guitar, but find reading traditional western-based music notation unintuitive(for guitar, at least. I have played other instruments). There are lesser-known, alternative staff notations out there that are based on the chromatic scale instead of C major. These make much more sense on guitar to me.

I'm a decent coder, is there a way to make a plugin or something that lets you use, say, a different number of ledger lines and map the note heads differently? If I'm not making sense, check out this site:

http://musicnotation.org/musicnotations/index.html

I admit this is probably a niche/edge user feature that isn't in high demand. Let me know if TuxGuitar's plugin functionality would allow something like this.

John Keller

I have developed a transnotation method in Finale, which can be used in the free Finale NotePad, 2006 version. Have you seen this YouTube video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJGstrBTIE4

Ole Kirkeby

Damn, why did they eliminate that feature from Finale? Probably because it didn't appeal to their core target audience.

I am very keen on the clock notation where each note has a number between one and twelve. It would be a big step forward to be able to include that in the notation.

Julian

Eric: there is no support to modify the main editor from a plugin..
you could only do a new editor window, like the matrix or piano features.

Ole Kirkeby

My guess is that a Lilypond plugin is the best option in practice. Most guitarist probably use the tablature, not the music notation, for input and Tux is fine for that (except for the lack of support for left-hand fingerings which I have mentioned elsewhere on this forum). You can then export to .ly and make the modifications in Lilypond.