Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject coda, segno, and other repeats; print layout adj.

Art

I have two feature requests, one maybe simple the other maybe not so simple. TG is advancing into the best Linux tab program and with a couple more features it would really be completely competitive with any closed source app. Great work and keep it up!

First, v0.9 can open and close repeats and specify number of repeats. However much music requires more complicated jumps like coda/a coda and segno/dal segno, often mixed into the middle of repeated sections. Then there may be bars which are played at the end of certain repeat iterations, denoted by a bracket line with numeral "1" or "2" etc. I am more familiar with Tabledit which achieves all this by means of a 'reading list' in the form of bars to be played which you edit, and upon closing this list, the program inserts the correct required repeats, codas, segnos, or directions. This helps even those who may not know the correct usage of these repeats and jumps, so it's pretty slick. Also, midi playback from Bar 1 will follow the 'reading list' correctly.

I've been a user of Tabledit mostly because of it's print formatting options. I need to be able to adjust the size and number of measures on the printed page to keep long pieces from occupying too many pages. Tabledit's methods are cumbersome and take a lot of print preview trial-and-error, but at least it's possible to make adjustments and end up with something I'm happy with. This is done by adjusting such things as the distance between tab lines, distance between tab and musical notation sections, general scale, and a few other things. It is also possible to adjust the height of musical notation flags. All this is complicated I realize but is really necessary for usable printed output.

kuniz

Hi,
I am sure the developpers will work on better printing options in the future, when all basic things are done and bugs are fixed. As for me, I'd suggest to work rather on a Lilypond output of the tabs/scores rather than in enhancing the current printing interface as Lilypond is THE score printer.
In the meantime, you can try to export TG to MIDI and use an another app to output to lilypond (Rosegarden). Or, even better, use excellent NoteEdit to import MIDI directly and use its printing options.
Cheerz, regards KuniZ

Chris

Firstly thankyou very much for writing this wonderfull program!

Could it be made posserble to print in multitrack view?
My music teacher wanted this as she needed to check for chord/note clashes and found it difficult not being able to print out in multi-track view.

Thanks a bunch

Chris

kinx

I have the same question as Chris.

Is there any chance to print in multitrack view?

Dave

Hello,
For sure, TG is pretty close to another commercial guitar tablature software! Keep it on...

My suggestions are to be abble to choose how many measure I want to display on a line. Having a sort of manual 'carriage return' to the next line.
That way, lyrics can be more readable in case of a lot of notes on the same line. uh?!

Another suggestion, multiple lyrics lines.

Thanks for your work anymay ;-)