Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject PowerTab import

bluesguy

Any chance of adding the ability to import PowerTab files?

brunology

You should already be able to import PowerTab files.
I actually can.

There is only a problem (as far as I know): Tuxguitar doesn't show the low melody notes of Power Tab.

Look this thread:
http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/forum_posts.html?fid=4&tid=289&view=NEW

brunology

I meant you should be able to OPEN a ptb file.

I can't understand what you mean with IMPORTING a ptb file.

Wait for the answer of the developers or more expert users (I know quite well PTB but I'm still a newbie with Tuxguitar).

PETER DRIVER

i HAVE TAUGHT GUITAR FOR 38 YEARS NOW AND WANT TO CONVERT MY STUDENTS TO USE OF TECHNOLOGY AS A SUPPORT PROCESS. TAB IS A GOOD INTRODUCTION BUT UNSATISFACTORY AS A LONG-TERM VIEW, SO THE NEED FOR SERIOUS SCORING IS VITAL. THIS MEANS THE 2 PART POLYPHONY NEEDS TO BE IMPLEMENTED SO THAT UPWARD AND DOWNWARD TAILS ARE SHOWN IN THE SCORE. OTHERWISE THIS IS TOTALLY UNREALISTIC SCORING. I'VE BEEN BANGING AWAY AT THE GUITAR PRO GUYS ABOUT THIS TOO! NEVERTHELESS THIS IS A GREAT PLAYBACK PROGRAMME FOR BOTH PLATFORMS.

leo

... there are some files in PTB format that tuxguitar can't open, even tuxguitar 1.0rc1 (give an error message instead, saying that 'Cannot Open: file:(..)');

is it possible to improve PTB support?
(the tab i've tried to open was this one: http://www.powertabs.net/tablature.php?id=24833)

Julian

Hi,
Thanks for report. i fixed the bug (and others i found on ptb importer). You can found the changes on CVS version or wait fot next RC.

leo

a big THANKS!! =D

George

Great job on this program, by far the best Guitar program for the PC. Thanks for adding the power tab import because that's what I used to use for the majority of my tabs, the only other thing that I would like is the export of power tabs. It would be greatly appreciated if you did this.

DrMario

Yea I agree, powertab export would be useful since there are still some features in powertab that this doesn't have and that format is more commonly used.

Julian

PTB exporter maybe added on the future ( it's more easy to write than read it ).

But please to understand that missing features will not "magically" added to the exported file.
i mean, if tuxguitar don't support any thing, that thing will not be saved to the file.
Or, if tuxguitar support any feature but the file format don't have it (or have it but is different) you may lost it when you save the file.

PTB structure is very different than tuxguitar.
So you can read/save standard things like notes, durations, etc. But some other things, like read repeats or timesignatures, are impossible to do.

So cleaning, what i try to mean is that you will work with tuxguitar and save a file to PTB. but then, when you reopen the file you'll see you loose a lot of info.

drmario

"But please to understand that missing features will not "magically" added to the exported file."
Yeah I understand that, I would just convert that file to power tab and make those changes in power tab and keep that specific song for use power tab. I still see the power tab format as a good, solid commonly used format and prefer to keep all my songs in that format since it was the best free guitar program for years until tux guitar came along but I do prefer using tux guitar whenever possible.
Thanks for considering this feature to be implemented in the future,
DrMario

Anonymous

Bump. Where can we look if we want to help you out with the PT reader/writer?

Julian

PowerTab plugin, is at TuxGuitar-ptb project.
there are the sources for this format.
However first of all, you'll need to understand what are the conflicts beetween tuxguitar and ptb format before do something.
a lot of features "can't" be imported, but yes are readed.
once the plugin read the format, it tries to synchronize bass/guitar traks as if it would playing. and then generate a TG song with syncrhonized data.

I tell you this, because if you take a simple look, you may think.. i can easily add the "repeats" from ptb to the tuxguitar song.
but later, after try open 100 ptb files, you'll see a synchronization problem. because PTB guitar track may have repeats at measure 1, but bass track not.
while for tuxguitar if measure 1 have repetas, it's applied for all tracks.
So in this exapmple you may find this sync problem.
As this example, there are others.. that causes this format conflicts to read a lot of features.
It's like if powertab manage the Guitar/Bass tracks as 2 different songs.
so the importer needs to "merge" this songs, and you can't keep all features after this process.

gareth

Are there any plans to implement in TuxGuitar the "rhythm slash" feature that is in Power Tab? I find this very useful. I presume the reason TuxGuitar cannot correctly import Power Tabs which use rhythm slashes is because it does not have this feature?

keysman

Greetings,
Is it possible to get the chords and lyrics to songs from
Ultimate Guitar.com into Tuxguitar program?
If so, please explain the process.

Thank you

Anonymous

If the person who made the tab included the chords and lyrics then they should show up when you open the tab.