Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject Request: Pick Stroke Direction Symbols

Haris

Hi,

I'm so pleased that Tux Guitar has come along! I was about to commit to TablEdit when my hopes where fulfilled with an open source alternative! (and such a well crafted one too!) :)

I'd love to see pick direction/strokes note effects added. Ie. to be able to add the symbols V(upstroke) and ?(downstroke) above the notes in the notation staff. Can be seen here, labelled 'Up bow' and 'Down bow': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_musical_symbols#Articulation_marks

If this isn't possible maybe a simple method of entering custom images or text characters above notation?

I'm sorry if this has been requested before but I couldn't find it in the forum or site.

Thanks again for a wonderful app!

Haris

PS. Is there any way to 'fake' this, or something similar, for the time being using the existing features?

Haris

I've just discovered that 'insert text' is associated with each beat in the measure. I can use this to 'fake' the symbols but have need of adding finger numbers too and notice that only one line of text can be inserted per beat.

Is finger numbering on the notation staff in the tuxguitar roadmap?

Mark Clark

I too would very much like to see pick direction symbols. Furthermore, I'd like them to be the up-bow and down-bow symbols used in violin scores. I've seen tab editors that "invent" new but non-standard symbols for this.

Thanks for a very nice program.

Johnny

You mean bow symbols like these?
http://www.dolmetsch.com/musicalsymbols.htm

Mark Clark

Yes! That's exactly what I mean. That's a great page you linked, Johnny, I'll bookmark it for future reference.

I see the chart also references guitar for those symbols. I've never understood why some developers want to stray from well understood standard symbols.

- Mark

Eric

I hardly know the symbols anyways so I don't care which one they use as long as they implement this feature, I know we can use the text input for the time being but it looks nicer if their is a set button for it and you can here the difference when you play back the song.

pickchamp

just chiming in here:
I need pick-stroke direction symbols for this software to be of any use.