Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject Copy&Paste note/chord

Miran

Hi,
that's really great app! Would it be possible to add feature copy&paste over one note/chord, possibly using shortcut? I am trying to write some tabs for friends and especially for describing some rhythm pattern (same chord all the time) is entering chords really exhausting ...

But keep walking, I really love TuxGuitar!

Julian

You can add your custom chords ( see the right panel at the chord editor ) and then, you'll have to click the chord from the toolbar to insert them (without open the chord dialog again).

Miran

Hi Julian,
thanks a lot for really fast reply. But I unfortunately the solution you suggest doesn't work for me - I downloaded last version (rc4) for sure and if I click on chord button (on the right side or just in the middle), I always need to choose chord again. In addition, there are other reasons for repeating 'last beat notes':

* I really like shortcuts (I am a programmer :)) and defining chord every time I need to repeat something and then clicking -> choosing -> again clicking really sucks - then I will probably write the pattern manually on in the tab row (but it's slow ...)

* even if I enetered the chord everytime again, the chord name (or diagram) will be displayed on all places where inserted - It makes no sense to repeat it - it is reasonable to display it only when changing

Thanks a lot you're doing great job!!!!

Miran

P.S. maybe other suggestion - I noticed it is written in Java - aren't you planning to release some components (e.g. using on the web - applets)?

Julian

On the right side of chord editor you have buttons:
"Add, Rename, Remove"
Try to edit/select your chord, and then click in that "Add" button.. then you must see your chord inside the right list.
then, when you close the chord dialog. the toolbar icon must have a dropdown menu, with your newest custom chord.

About shortcuts, you can type "a" ( or select a new key ) to launch the chord editor. but there is nothing for add a custom chord with a shorcut.

> aren't you planning to release some components (e.g. using on the web - applets)?
I have it planned, yes.. but for now we don't have a good hosting to allow that.

Miran

I understand that there probably are some features about editing chord I haven't discovered yet, but still, the main things are the speed and repeating chord diagrams/names - currently, the fastest way how to write this piece:

E|----------------------|----------------------|
B|-1----1---1---1---1---|-0----0---0---0---0---|
G|-2----2---2---2---2---|-2----2---2---2---2---|
D|-2----2---2---2---2---|-2----2---2---2---2---|
A|-0----0---0---0---0---|-0----0---0---0---0---|
E|----------------------|----------------------|

is probably to use keyboard and tab panel. Forget the chord dialog - even when you use shortcut 'a' (I already knew it) it is terribly slow. Just try it ... :)

Copying "COLUMN" would dramatically improve the entering music.

Miran

Julian

Ah ah ah,.. you talk "chord" about the full notes beat.. ( not about the diagram ).. now i understand..
but no.. there is nothing now to copy or repeat the last entered beat.. but can be a good tool, something what autoisert last-beat notes.

Miran

Yes, exactly, autoinsert last-beat notes - it is exactly what I am looking for :)) It would make inserting music much faster ... Anyway thanks once more for great tool.

M.