Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject Automatic transcription

ynnorj

TuxGuitar imports and plays MIDI files, right?

I guess the software would be more perfect if there is a plugin that would be able to convert an audio file (preferably .mp3) to MIDI (or directly to a .tg file format), so the software can automatically transcribe music to notes. I guess it would be more complex but it might be worth the developing. Thanks.

Julian

> or directly to a .tg file format
A bach converter plugin was already done.. see at Tools menu.

tuxguitar have not a .mp3 fileformat plugin.. so you can't do that now.
by the way, it isn't easy to make Audio with a MIDI file without a synthesizer (and tuxguitar isn't a synth).

You can do that with external software.

Johnny

You are asking for some magic .MP3->.TG converter?!?

Did you try the same thing, just to MIDI instead? There are several such projects online.
If you did, you could see how impossible and futile that idea is. Speech recognition is trivial comparing to that. It is like isolating what one person is shouting on football stadium. :)

ynnorj

Since there are mp3 to midi converter projects, would it be possible if one of them would be merged with tuxguitar? just asking... thanks

Johnny

You can easily do it manually: use that application to convert to MIDI, and then import that file in TuxGuitar.

Julian

ynnorj, convert audio to midi isn't so easy.
it is true there are softwares todo that. but they works a little fine only if the audio file have only 1 note by beat.
That applications work as a "software tuner".
they analize the enter sound, and try to calculate the frequency.
but when you enter more than 1 note (e.g: a single chord, or 2 tracks song) the result is other.
it's much more easy to convert from midi to audio (with a synth by redirecting the output sound to a file) than convert from audio to midi.

By other hand, supposing there is a magic software what can convert from audio to midi without problems.
You need to think allmost applications like that have not a "free" license to allow us to include it on tuxguitar.
So you don't need to found a magic software only.. it must be LGPL compat too.

ynnorj

Thank you for your responses.

Yes, I get it... I've been looking for polyphonic audio to MIDI converters and I've found some but they are not open source. They work fine though, but they are not free. But I guess some guys are working on a free automatic transcription software project.

But if you guys found an open source project that is also a good audio to midi transcription software and has a free license, are you open to the idea of merging with it?

Thanks

Julian

ofcourse, we can write a new plugin for it (like we did with all current plugins).
but only if it supports an unlimited count of notes on same beats (diferent instruments because tracks).