Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject translations

beat

Hi all

I just noticed the german translation is not yet complete and seen there are no umlaute. While reading the translation page in documentation I just thought wouldn't it be nice to have a web based gui for translating the app so it would get easier for non-dev aware guys (e.g. using launchpad or pootle)? I was surprised when I found out there already exists a pootle translation project:

http://pootle.locamotion.org/projects/tuxguitar/

Are the devs aware of this? Is it offical or could it be made so? Then you should update the doc page.

Hope that helps, beat

Julian

Hi,
Sometimes is not so easy mantain translations.
if it was for me, tuxguitar would support all locales.
but ofcourse, i only know how to speak my language ( and a basic english ) so allways depends if anybody send us a translation.
Also for the translator, it's not easy test all on the application, because you have a lot of options with different dialogs what make easy make mistakes.

> I just thought wouldn't it be nice to have a web based gui for translating the app
I thought about that, but it can be hard.
i mean, i can add a new page easily for that.
but.. how to know if translation is right or if contain spam ? (again, i can understand only what is on my language )
It can be usefull, but it can be a problem too.
By the way, if anybody is interrested on translate tuxguitar. it's very easy todo.
and it's dynamic ( don't need reinstall tuxguitar.. only add new translation to share/lang ) so translator can check what is doing. (on a web page, he can't see results without download the generated file)

> Are the devs aware of this? Is it offical or could it be made so?
No, it isn't.
somebody sended me a mail before telling me about add tuxguitar on a site like this (and send me translations when finish), but i don't know if that is the site.

Johnny

Yes, I see German translation is without umlauts (Drucken). If you think you are qualified enough, you can upload corrected translation somewhere and send a link by "Contact" on this website...

beat

Hi

>if it was for me, tuxguitar would support all locales.

Was not meant to be critics, of course I know the difficulty of translating. Don't take it personal ;-)

>but.. how to know if translation is right or if contain spam ? (again, i can understand only what is on my language )

I see your point, but then again... you have the same problem with user-contributed files sent to you by mail no? The only way to prevent such malicious translations would be to have reviewers which may verify the results. The barrier for entry would be lower with a thing like pootle, so you _probably_ get more translators / translations but at the same time you _will_ get some malicious entries and or lower quality translations, because of the out-of context translating you mentioned. There is some pro and contra, in the end both works.

>Yes, I see German translation is without umlauts (Drucken). If you think you are qualified enough, you can upload corrected translation somewhere and send a link by "Contact" on this website...

I will do that. Stay tuned.

Cheers, beat

leuce (Samuel Murray)

beat wrote:
> I was surprised when I found out there already
> exists a pootle translation project:
> http://pootle.locamotion.org/projects/tuxguitar/
> Is it offical or could it be made so?

G'day beat

I'm an admin for that Pootle server and I'm the one who put TuxGuitar on it. We often get queries from people who want to translate software, or test Pootle, and then I create a language for them on our Pootle server for TuxGuitar.

You'll notice that there are many languages on that page but few translations -- that is because some people say "I want to translate" and then disappear.

I'm not sure who the current "official" German translator is for TuxGuitar, but if you're satisfied that it would be okay for you to do it, you're welcome to contact me at samuel @ translate.org.za and I'll upload the latest German file for you.

Please note that a little conversion is required for making TuxGuitar and Pootle work together. I'll do the conversions for you (or for anyone else) if you want, but it is not rocket science. :-)

Actually, I wish there was a way that I could figure out who the translators are, so that I could ask them if they want to use our Pootle server, and to refer potential helpers to them.

Contact me.
Samuel

leuce (Samuel Murray)

Julian wrote:
> How to know if translation is right or
> if contain spam?

Yes, it is very difficult to know. What we can do in Pootle is that only one translator is given 'admin' rights for his language (he can then grant translator rights to other users that he trusts). Members of the public or non-trusted translators can be given 'suggestion' rights, so that they can submit suggested or unvetted translations.

The default setting on Pootle.locamotion.org is that anyone can translate, but if I can get confirmation of who the "official" translator is, I can give him exclusive translation rights for his language.

> And it's dynamic (don't need reinstall tuxguitar.
> Only add new translation to share/lang) so
> translator can check what is doing.

Unfortunately, the way Pootle works, checking your translations will require a little more work. This is because Pootle uses the PO format. I convert the .properties file to a PO file for Pootle, and if a translator wants to have his translation in .properties format, he must download his PO file and convert it to .properties (the procedure is easy and I've described it on our web site also, but it means that checking the translation takes a little time).

> Somebody sended me a mail before telling me
> about add tuxguitar on a site like this (and
> send me translations when finish), but i don't
> know if that is the site.

It is possibly me (but I'm not sure). None of the TuxGuitar translations on our Pootle server are yet at a stage where I can "send it back" and at the time when I did contact you (in February) we kinda expected more translators (and language editors) to join our project.

You're welcome to contact me about this. My address is samuel @ translate.org.za.

Samuel

Julian

Hi all,

> Was not meant to be critics, of course I know the difficulty of translating. Don't take it personal...
My english isn't good, so sometimes my words can sound different as what i tried to write..
i didn't take it as bad

> you have the same problem with user-contributed files..
yes ofcourse..
what i tried to mean, is to make a "very easy" way can inspire spammers, while who really want translate the application will ask how to do it.
by the way the only secured way is to have "reviewers" as you say.

Samuel, yes you were that person :)
i remember that after see this page:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/decathlon/tuxguitar

I think we'll need a better coordination..
please let me know when any new language start.
so there are some duplicated translations ( i don't want to tell current translators their job is not welcome anymore )

See as example:
Chinese (Taiwan), Dutch, French, Portuguese (Brazil), etc

This are the latest translations on SVN:
http://tuxguitar.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tuxguitar/trunk/TuxGuitar/share/lang/

On authors section you'll found the translators and'll be able to contact them.
http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/authors.html

note that current French translator is "Philippe Coval"

ofcourse there are some translators what i couldn't contact this year (e.g German translator :) )..
don't know if their mail server take my address as spam, they don't use the known mail account anymore, or if they just don't want (or can't) work on tuxguitar anymore.

Maybe we should write about this on translation page of documentation.. to then users can redirect to your site.
and work all together

beat

Hi Julian, hi Samuel

> The default setting on Pootle.locamotion.org is that anyone can translate, but if I can get confirmation of who the "official" translator is, I can give him exclusive translation rights for his language.

Hm not sure about that one, then you're still locked-in if one loses interest or time. Probably would be better if anyone can edit, but before a new release is done the language "responsible" has a short look and may give a go/no-go. I know that I will probably lose interest after some improvements, but in the mean-time there will be others which will be interested in improving translation and it is a continuous process. Still I may be listed as responsible, and then in the end give the ok before a next release.

I think after all, we just need a decision anyway if to use pootle or not, because of duplication of work. For me both options are perfectly fine, even though I slightly prefer pootle because of my lazyness (I hope someone else does all the work and I just have to give the ok ;-).

Maybe some of the other translators may give there opinons?

cheers, beat

justme

Hey there,

some time ago, I also sent a patch for the German translation (which is also quite wrong in some places) to the person listed on the contact page, with no response. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed, that the tuxguitar translation is registered on the pootle server. Since then, I've been translating some Strings nearly every day, because I thought, this was already set up to go into the application. It'd be great, if my work could be incorporated into the current or yet to come translation.

thanks,

beat

Hi justme,

I think we will build upon your translation then. Just had a quick qlance and it looks ok so far. Just for all the language names I think they should not be translated is that correct Julian?

Julian

Hi beat,

all starting with "locale.*"
don't should be translated.

That keys, are used on "Tools -> Settings : Language"

If you translate that keys, it's very hard for another country user understand what should he select..
i mean.
I speak spanish.
if i see "Spanish" on the available list, so it's easy to select.

but now, translate spanish to Japanese.. how the hell do i know what is the spanish item ?

So that is the reason..
Keeping locale.* on English (default language) will make more easy the selection for all users.