Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject Loop song part

daa

It is important for me to loop part of song. I use this facility to learn some "hard to learn" songs.

Sorry for bad English.

Thanks!

Tiger

I'm also adding my vote. It's quite necessary feature. This alone keeps me using Guitar Pro.

Anonymous

i agree

Ian

Any progress in this department? Are there keyboard short cuts which can set this up?

Ich

Kann man das jetzt repeaten???
Irgendwie geht das nicht bei mir.
kann jemand helfen.

abernau

I totally agree - the most missing part is playing in a loop between markers.

Ron

Without this feature the software is really useles.

metallicker

its hard to love tuxguitar without being able to select/highlight bars and loop them.

eohys

This software still has a long way to go. The current version should not be named v1 or v1.1, it's completely misleading and inappropriate. The most I would give it is v0.6, considering how much essential features are still missing.

Julian

eohys, maybe you are right if you try to find a "guitar trainer" application in tuxguitar..
you should read the real description: "it's a Tablature Editor"
i really do not remember have seen any "tablature editor" application with more features than tuxguitar at 1.0 version.. do you ?

we added the speed trainer just because a lot of suggestions, as now we added (in development version) the loop part of the song feature..

but these kind of features was never planned for tuxguitar,
if you are looking for a real guitar trainer, so take a look to another application, because tuxguitar will never be like a "guitar trainer 1.0".

eohys

Julian, I was not talking about the feature suggested here. In fact I just realized I misunderstood what was being proposed. Personally I don't think it's that important, you can always easily insert temporary repeat bars, which is what I usually do.

I was referring to the software in general. Compared to Power Tab, TuxGuitar still misses two features that I consider essential in any tablature editor: 1) let ring, 2) highlight notes and perform cumulative operations on them (copy, cut, let ring, etc...). Power Tabs still has some other nice features but I can live without them, and tuxGuitar makes up for them in some additional features of its own. But without these 2 aforementioned functions, I found editing tabs in Tux to be tedious.

For this reason, I suggested the version to be 0.x, but now after some more thoughts on it, I think I was a bit unfair. Perhaps it should be v0.9x, since everything else about the software is pretty much perfect.

Regards.

Julian

>> Compared to Power Tab, TuxGuitar still misses two features that I consider essential in any tablature editor

Here is what i say.. you are comparing a software that in 1.7 version don't support features such as "a have percussion track", "different layout modes" , "multitrack view", "autocomplete rests", "just see yourself how many undo/redo operations can you do on both applications", "a dynamic plugin system" (that allows you support multiple file formats, different kind of midi ports, etc..) and i can continue writing...

so you are looking on what powertab have and tuxguitar don't.. but you are not looking on that features that tuxguitar include and powertab not (in v1.7)..

i don't have nothing with powertab, but i still think that your version number definition don't make sense..

Anonymous

That is exactly what startles me about TuxGuitar. It's got all of these fancy features yet does not support these two very basic operations.

In guitar, let ring is a natural property, unlike a piano where let ring is not common and therefore tied notes are sufficient to represent extended note durations. I tend to write a lot of fingerpicked pieces, and with these let ring is a given. In TuxGuitar, they just sound horrible next to what they sound like in Power Tab.

Moreover, many times I have a guitar part that repeats but with different notes on other instrument, which is where copy/paste comes in very handy, as well as in many other cases.

Powertab already has multitrack view with up to 4 tracks (one is rhythm slashes) on each score, the guitar score and the bass score (although only an overall maximum of 7 tracks are allowed). It's got its limitations, I admit, but for me it's still more practical and satisfying, even without drums.

In short, TuxGuitar has gone to include fancy features that are dispensable in a tablature editor and overlooked the basic ones. But please don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with Power Tabs and I can't wait to make the move to TuxGuitar, I'm just not convinced yet. I'm just trying to give contrsuctive criticism, that's all, I'm sorry if I offended the developers here.

eohys

I retract what I said about copy/paste. What I wanted to say was copy/cut/paste of certain notes withing one measure.

Peace.

eohys

Oh and I just want to add, the day TuxGuitar has Power Tab style let ring, I swear I'm going to do fireworks.

Julian

eohys, i understand your point, but the problem is that you are thinking on features that you are familiarized only..

you talk about "let ring" as a essential feature..
i can tell you that it's a nice feature, but not essential..
i receibe more than 50 mails peer day of this software,
i receibe mails of every post on this forums to..
users allways ask for missing features,
and i tell you that "let ring" is not an usual user request.

about the subject of this topic, i receibe one or more mails each day.. ( so it's a very requested feature )
for let ring, i think that i didn't receibed more than 10 mails since tuxguitar exists..

so to be clear, the let ring feature was already planned to add, but it don't have the first priority.

please if you want to continue with this discussion just create a new topic ( or find one with a subject like )
this topic talks about other issues.

eohys

I can only say good luck with the development and whatever it is you are doing.

Anonymous

The version numbers have nothing to do with how 'complete' it is, it's for development purposes! Would you like it if these (great) programmers withheld tux guitar until it was 'complete' enough compared to some other (paid for) alternative?

Nice job, developers, I love this program, I look forward to the release that has looping of a selected part.

Dekker500

I too would like to add another vote for the loop section. Yes, I realize you can add repeat bars, but it's odd to modify the song structure to adjust a playback feature... isn't it?

Nice product though! Just discovered it recently, and this is the one (of two) features that I find missing...

yet another tuxguitar fan

Hello,

starting from the cvs version of TuxGuitar from October, 12th I tried
to extend the new training mode a little bit. One thing I missed in the
current implementation is a display of the actual performed speed. So I
made the plug-in TuxGuitar-trainer which shows a dialog window with the
start and end speed in percent, the speed increment, the actual
performed speed (in percent and bpm) and the start and stop measure of
the loop. Two check boxes switch looping behaviour (loop or whole song)
and the training mode (with or without speed increment). So it's
similar to the play mode dialog window but doesn't block
controlling the main window of TuxGuitar. One can start and stop the
song and see the reached speed in the trainer window.

To keep the window small it has no descriptive text elements, you have
to use the tool tips for an explanation of the number boxes (point the
mouse over the number boxes).

In this version there are two number boxes to control the speed
increment. If the second one differs from zero it will decrement the
speed every second pass like it's recommended by e.g. Troy Stetina.
For instance, if one sets the starting speed to 50 percent the
increment to 5 and the decrement to 4 percent tuxguitar plays at 50,
55, 51, 56, 52, 57 percent.

You will find the code and predefined jar files at
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a06cf0a/n/TG_speedtrainer_zip

I wasn't able to implement the plug-in without changing the code of the
main program itself (I need a message every time the speed changes) so
I commented all inserted lines in MidiPlayerMode.java by a "// yatgf".

Some ideas for future enhancements would be
* play three metronome beats before starting the song/loop
* integrate the dialog window in the main window
* allow parts of a measure for looping?
* repeat parameter - lets repeat the measure some time at the same speed
* hot keys for dynamicly changing the speed
* external control by OSC or MIDI to use foot switches

Sorry for my bad English

Julian

Hi, at this point next version is closed and i'm not doing changes in the code..
but as i so that the MidiPlayerListener didn't have loop notification, that could be important for future plugins, and it's not something that can cause bugs,
i just added the new method: notifyLoop() to MidiPlayerListener ( no created a new class for it )

But it's fired in MidiPlayer (that is who say when the song must be looped ) instead of MidiPlayerMode.

And also made "get" to the currentPercent property on MidiPlayerMode, just to make it "Extensible" with the listener.

But i'm not going to add properties such as "oddLoop", "customPercentDecrement" since they are not supported by the application.
You have to create your own PlayerMode for that.
So your plugin have to do:

* Make your own PlayerMode class as you need..
* Implements the listener
* At nofifyLoop, use your class to get the "currentPercent"
* invoke player.getMode().setCurrentPercent( yourNewValue )

This way, you will override the tempo percent.

> i just added the new method: notifyLoop() to
> MidiPlayerListener ( no created a new class for it )

> But it's fired in MidiPlayer (that is who say when
> the song must be looped ) instead of MidiPlayerMode.
Thanks, I will adapt my plug-in code for the changes.

yatgf

TuxGuitarFan-Eric

as a quick and dirty solution you can append the current speed to the application title! All you need to to is add 2 lines of code to method MidiPlayerMode.setCurrentPercent(int currentPercent):
TuxGuitar.instance().getConfig().setProperty(TGConfigKeys.WINDOW_TITLE,TuxGuitar.instance().getConfig().getDefaults().getProperty(TGConfigKeys.WINDOW_TITLE) + " - speed: " + currentPercent + "%");
TuxGuitar.instance().showTitle();

Regards
TuxGuitarFan-Eric

kural

Player--Play Mode--Training Mode

Then select the Loop Range. You can select part of the song or the entire song.

It will pay those segments over and over. You can also reduce the tempo down too..