Tux Guitar

Suggestions

Subject Different note durations in the same beat

Sergio

Please, allow to put into the same chord different note durations (i.e. 1/4 A with a bass 1/2 C). That's important (at least) for classical music songwriters-players. Thanks for your work.

Julian

It is planned todo, and there is already something on SVN version.
However it'll limited for 2 voices now.
make 3 or an unlimited number, needs a lot of algorhythms to check how to paint them, that may make the application so slowly.

Johnny

So far you can put two 1/4 notes, one is A and one is C, and in next 1/4 note make link ("L" key) to that C note, so it lasts for another quarter.

But that's workaround until TuxGuitar becomes multivoiced.

Sergio

I know Johnny, but it's far more professional and clean to write this way instead of writing links everywhere. (No sé si lo expliqué bien en inglés, me refiero por ejemplo a poner una nota blanca junto a una negra en el mismo tiempo, en lugar de poner dos negras y hacer una ligadura de una de ellas con la siguiente negra) This was something allowed in Guitar Pro 4 but not in GP5. Curious... Thankyou for your answers...

Deno

This was the first thing I looked for when trying out tuxguitar. Apparenty guitarpro can do it, although it does not look so at a first view.

Deno

Ah, I see - pressing "L" adds a ligature, which effectively has a same effect. Looks ugly, but it works.

Changing the way this is shown on a score (from adding more notes with ligatures to changing the note length) whould be a nice feature for next tuxgutar release...

Julian

2 voice support is already implemented on development version. it'll be available on next release

AndyP

I wonder if this could be done a different way? Currently you can simulate mulitple voices by tying notes together. So you can tie 4 notes in the base and play an arpegio over the top for example. This produces correct tab and sound output. But the score looks dreadful.

To deal with the score could you just control the display of tied notes? So you would input your 4 eighth notes and then say they should be displayed as one half note. Instead of having to write complex algorithms to deal with score display. You instead let the user override the display providing the note and the stem direction. If they wanted to change things back you would first remove the user override which would revert back to the tied notes and then continue from there. One other thing to think about when using this approach is rests. Again if users can enter rests and tie them together, you would have all the control you need

With this in place you could do multiple voices (Bach would be pleased)

Hope this is useful

AndyP

Knysliux001

...And in the year 2009 penguin noticed that guitar has 6 strings! And those can be played separately! Multiple voices! What a breakthrough in music :P

Well, it's about time ;)

Keep up good work :)